We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

age restrictions on working in ibiza

Bletchley, England...
1 post
Save Topic
age restrictions on working in ibiza

Hi was just wondering if anyone could help me at all, i am going over to ibiza in the summer to do the season i have booked a flight and secured accomodation however i'm still going to be 17 when i get out there and wont turn 18 till mid july and am worried i wont be able to get a job due to my age. Would be greatfull for any info on wether there are any age restrictions out there for working or if i will be able to get any kinde of job at all being 17. Or if anyone has known people who have been 17 and got work in ibiza for the season ? Cheers

ibiza
Destination Expert
for Ibiza, Sant Antoni de Portmany
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: age restrictions on working in ibiza

you're in the eu so job restrictions vis a vis age are the same as in the uk.

here's my tip - use a spell checker on your cv.

mm

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,070 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: age restrictions on working in ibiza

just remember spain has a much higher unemployment then the u.k. Most establishments have retained their best staff from previous years. the best bar staff are like gold and are fought over. PR work should be available but often does not have the approval of the local authority, so care should be taken in accepting some job offers.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: age restrictions on working in ibiza

I suppose if you have already booked a flight and have accommodation, then you may as well go. Unless you are going to do bar, PR or menial work don't expect too much.

Spain has one of the highest unenployment rates in Europe, so take enough money for your living costs as you may not find any work at all.

Calpe, Alicante...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: age restrictions on working in ibiza

good luck, make sure you have plenty of money with you as here on the mainland there are NO jobs and Benidorm is an all year round resort.

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: age restrictions on working in ibiza

Yep that's my advice too Calpe!! Make sure you've got plenty of money to fall back on just in case you don't get work straight away. I would think Propping (enticing people into bars) would be the work that's more readily available, but be aware that it doesn't pay well.... maybe 10-20 euros for working all night (around 7pm til 4 or 5am!).. but accommodation with the "props" is usually shared so you could get a bargain!

As Calpe says here in Benidorm work is VERY scarce and it's supposed to be an all year round resort, but having said that the situation for work in Ibiza may be different? People come and go all season so you may get lucky!

As your flight and accommodation is already booked why not give it a go, but remember to save enough for a flight home in case it doesn't work out..GOOD LUCK!!!.

ibiza
Destination Expert
for Ibiza, Sant Antoni de Portmany
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: age restrictions on working in ibiza

sounds like you've been away in benidorm too long. propping work is extremely limited these days as town halls have cracked down on it more and more recently. bars are subject to strict limits on the number of prs and it is not allowed at all in certain areas - the marina area of ibiza to name but one

mm

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: age restrictions on working in ibiza

Now now!!! I meant in the West End of San An area rather than Ibiza town!! And according to people "in the know" on other forums, props come and go all season so you might just "fall lucky!"

Still, it is a while since I lived in Ibiza, but we're coming back this year for good (not just a season!) with "proper" jobs sorted!! ;))

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,070 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: age restrictions on working in ibiza

have to say bought up the same point in item 2 above as M M, re town hall involvement. San an is the one area where the new town hall elected officials have been stamping their feet over these types of operations. Your outlet not having the correct licence for you could see you on the next plane out. Just be very careful, doormen for 5 star hotels killing people and being an illegal has heightened tightening the checks of the papers of hospitality workers.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: age restrictions on working in ibiza

If OP is a UK citizen then won't be an 'illegal' as has the right to work in Spain. I can understand the authorities clamping down on the PR type jobs.

i can see the attraction to a young person wanting to work a summer in Ibiza. Unfortunately, often the reality isn't very glamorous.

Ibiza was the first place I worked in Spain many, many moons ago, but I already had a job before I got there.

10. Re: age restrictions on working in ibiza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2013, 10:20