We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating out in escana

Which Es Canar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
eating out in escana

Hi guys, I'm staying self catering in escana in July this year (2010), I'm wondering what the cost of eating out is? My tastes are simple I'm not a food critic, stick sausage egg and chips in front of me and I'm happy! Also what's the price of a beer?

On a different and slightly 'dodgy' topic I'm taking my daughter and her best friend with me, they are both 16 years old and would probably like the odd vodka and coke in a bar, would this be acceptable or is it like the UK no drinks for the under 18s?

Any info will be much appreciated on any matters regarding escana as it's my first trip there.

Thanks!

Dave

Mallorca
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating out in escana

Hi

I lived in Es Canar for a couple of months a few years ago.

I can recommend two "local-ish" bars / restaurants. One is "La Perla", on the road going in to Es Canar, near to the Chemist and the taxi "rank". It's a Spanish place, but the food was good quality and not expensive. The other one is "Mar i Vent" or "Mar Vent", I'm not sure of the name. Next to the Hotel Panorama and Charlies. It's more touristy, but the food wasn't too expensive. They did nice sandwiches to take away.

Regarding the alcoholic drinks for two 16 year olds. Well, legally no bar is allowed to serve them alcohol. They need to be 18. However, I doubt that they will be asked for ID's unless in a disco or similiar. If you allow them to drink alcohol and you are out with them, I would suggest that you get the drinks from the bar yourself and hand them to them.

shropshire uk
Level Contributor
426 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating out in escana

there are quite a few places to eat in escana all at reasonable prices.Last summer larger was 2 euros a pint in some places buy one get one free.Your 16 year olds will be fine as above post says as long as you buy the drinks or they look 18,just watch them as drinks are treble measures to what we get at home

shropshire uk
Level Contributor
426 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating out in escana

forgot to add,we took our children to Escana for the first time when the youngest was 15,its a good intro to ibiza,they still love Ibiza and we still go every year (all of us + their partners)

ibiza
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating out in escana

there are loads of places you can eat for well under €10 per head in ibiza so you should have plenty of choice.

that's a good point about the spirit measures. probably best to encourage the girls on to beer, wine or alcopops if you can - that way you have a good idea of exactly how much they've drunk.....

Newcastle
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating out in escana

Treble measures...............................................I love the place already :)

Ibiza, Spain
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating out in escana

Just to give you a heads up about your 16 year olds drinking - It doesn't happen very often but the police will go in bars and check - the bar where I worked got given a massive fine despite the fact that the drinks were bought at the bar by the mother for her 15 / 16 year olds who were sat outside. - so don't be suprised if the girls get refused service.

If they do look 18 they get served please keep a eye on them as it has previously been mentioned the triples can easily get anyone hammered and alot of the bars will give out free "chupito's" (shots usually knocked back in one) and these have finnished off many a novice drinker !

You will find plenty of places that serve sausage, egg & chips but because the poor rate of exchange its not as cheap as it used to be (despite most places keeping there prices the same for the last few years).

The restaurant that the previous person was thinking of is "The Marvent" and has a great menu at reasonable prices and serves food all day from 8am to Midnight (you can't miss it, it's right next to Charlies)

Bradford, United...
Destination Expert
for Es Canar
Level Contributor
866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: eating out in escana

another good place got good food is the Los Jaros down the side road from the Perla which is opposite the funfair, personally from what you say I think this would be more to your liking. Another place to try for good food, cheap beer and entertainment is Rois Showbar up the hill on the left going out of town about 200m past the Ereso Hotel.

Try Popeyes as well for a good night and late drinks, its much cheaper than Charlies think I paid 7.5e for a bacardi and coke there last year but only 3.5 at Popeyes.

Give all these places a try and I am sure you will have a great holiday.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eating out in escana

Thank you very much for your well informed information.

The drink thing really isn't an issue, it's a relaxing holiday we're after, not a binge drinking week.

I am more concerned about the week pound. Justine27 mentioned that some places have held their prices, (sorry to be so probing but I'm trying to get a pretty good idea how much 'spendies' I'm going to need) will it be like home where a main course is around £8 and a drink about £3.50?

I have seen The Marvent on their website, there's a good chance we will be doing most of our eating there as we're staying in the apartments above them.

ibiza
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating out in escana

hi dave,

there is quite a wide range of prices in ibiza so it's hard to give an average.

i'm not the best person to advise on es cana specifically but here is a bit of info for you.

drinks are very expensive in clubs, expensive in 'cool' bars and generally very cheap everywhere else. it's a very wide price range! for example, a bottle of beer in a club can be as much as €10 in a club but you can easily find a pint of san miguel for under €2 in some of the cheaper places, especially where bars are fighting for british tourists.

the going rate for a caña (half pint) is €2-3 so that's what you should expect to pay i reckon.

spirits are an ever wider range - even up to €17 in some clubs! they are usually €8-12 in cool bars and €5-8 in normal bars and cafes.

house wine is very cheap - €3-6 even in a cool bar and a whole bottle is as little as €5 in a restaurant.

food wise it really depends where and what you want to eat. there is a huge choice for €10-20 a head including drinks.

lots of spanish places do a great menu del dia (lunchtime 3 course special) for €8-15 which often includes a drink. there's generally a choice of soups and salads to start, stews, chicken breast, fish etc. for main and then creme caramel or similar for dessert.

i assume from your first post that you'd prefer english dishes, right?

spanish places have a few things that are fairly english and something like egg, steak, chicken etc. will usually set you back €5 for a main course.

the best bargain on the island is the chinese restaurant in figueretas - €6.50 for three courses and a beer! god knows how they do it.

english places generally have to cater a bit more for fussy eaters so they have to charge extra to pay for imported goods. breakfasts can be really cheap if there's a price war - €3 was the going rate for a full english in playa den bossa at one point! a main course is probably more like €8 and the english places generally have a selection of cheaper kids meals too.

maybe someone else can confirm if that's about right for es cana and suggest some places?

Ibiza, Spain
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eating out in escana

I would say you're about right with your estimate of 8 pounds for a main course and 3.50 for drinks.

The restaurants are all working on their 2010 menus as I write, they have to see how much their supliers have put their prices up first !

You say your staying at the apartments above the Marvent restaurant (The Es Cane) If you email the receptionist there "reception@escanyer.com" she will probably be able to give you more details once they are available.

Get answers to your questions about Es Canar