We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report July 2011

Albany, Western...
Level Contributor
615 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report July 2011

My partner and I have recently returned from 10 wonderful days on Gili Trawangan. I had booked accommodation well in advance - last September - at Bale Sampan Bungalows and paid a 50% deposit by PayPal. When I emailed the owners a few weeks before our trip to see if I could pay the rest by PayPal too, as I thought it would be easier (I had read that there was only one ATM on the island, but there are at least six), they replied that they had double-booked our room. This was apparently a failure in communication among the owners. Miriam was extremely apologetic and said that it was the first time it had happened to them - I believe it, too, judging by their reaction. She had found two other accommodation options for us, both an upgrade from Bale Sampan, and said they would pay the difference. We ended up staying at Villa Unggul, which is currently not listed here, but if I can get it listed I will write a review. It was about 100m north of Bale Sampan. Another of Bale Sampan’s owners, Andy, came to see us shortly after we arrived on Gili Trawangan to apologise again, pay the hotel bill and check that everything was all right. I won’t review Bale Sampan as we didn’t stay there, but judging by the owners’ response to this situation, and by what I saw of the accommodation from the outside, I would absolutely recommend it. Although they made a mistake, their wonderful service and genuine efforts to remedy the situation were really impressive. That said, we loved Villa Unggul and would recommend that too.

I booked our transfer from Ubud, Bali to Gili Trawangan through Gili Cat on their web site for 900 000 rupiah per person return. We were picked up from our hotel on time and transferred in a full minivan to Padang Bai. Here we “checked in” just before 11 for an 11.30 scheduled departure, which we were told would depart “between 11.30 and 12”. We went and had a drink and then proceeded to the pier to wait. The big new Gili Cat boat, the Enterprise, was moored some distance from the pier and luggage and passengers who had come from Gili T were being transferred on a smaller boat to the pier. This took several trips. Meanwhile we waited. While we now understand what was going on, at the time we didn’t. There was no communication or indication of when we might leave. It was hot, there was nowhere comfortable to sit, and we were subject to the attentions of a number of very persistent vendors of food, sarongs, etc. Eventually we were on the Enterprise and set off about 12.20 for Gili T. Once on board communication was good. We were told sea conditions were “moderate” and the trip would take about an hour and a half. We were seated in the back, “Tourist class” area of the boat, as “Premier class” had been booked out already. Almost as soon as we took off, water started dripping, and then running, from the metal beams over our heads. It quickly became very unpleasant and we moved, but most seats had the same problem. It was also very hot, as the plastic screens at the sides of the boat had to be closed to prevent water entering. The crew handed out water bottles, as well as towels for the people who were getting really wet. It was a big boat and I felt safe, but it was not at all a comfortable trip. We arrived at Gili T about 2.10 and then were shuttled from the boat to the pier in another small boat. We had our luggage sometime after 2.30. By this stage we were pretty grumpy.

We then took a cidomo to Villa Unggul, which cost 50 000 rupiah - apparently a set price, or so we were told. We checked in and had something to eat and started to feel a lot more cheerful. Gili Trawangan is a wonderful place. On the first morning I walked all around the island, which took under an hour and a half. Most mornings I went for a walk before breakfast - I really enjoyed having different places to explore, and it was cool enough to walk comfortably. We had breakfast on the beach every morning, spent the morning on the beach reading and snorkelling straight out in front of the hotel, had lunch somewhere along the strip between Villa Unggul and the main village (about 15 minutes walk, with hotels, cafes and restaurants all along the road), spent the afternoon swimming and reading by the pool or on the beach, and then found somewhere else for dinner. We missed a number of all night parties due to lack of interest and not being able to stay up that long, but where we were we couldn’t hear them, so they didn’t disturb us. A couple of times we walked up to the northwest coast to have a drink in the evening and watch the sunset, which was very pleasant. We were really happy with the location of Villa Unggul, as it was quiet but still lively. We had almost chosen to stay on the northern coast of the island, but I’m glad we ended up a bit closer to the “main drag”.

We enjoyed the snorkelling, especially seeing turtles. It is no Barrier Reef, but there are lots of fish to see and some patches of reasonable coral. There are also efforts being made to rejuvenate the coral. On some days there was quite a strong current, and you could just drift along, then walk back up the beach, although I preferred to swim against the current because I needed to earn my lunch! I could swim against it with my mediocre breaststroke, so it wasn’t that strong.

On one day we did a snorkelling trip on a glass bottomed boat that cost 75 000 rupiah pp (including snorkelling gear, but we had our own). We snorkelled in a few spots off Gili Meno and Gili Air. The first had quite a deep wreck and I regretted not having taken my fins. It was quite beautiful. At the next two we swam quite a long way, following a guide, and saw turtles (very much in the distance) and a fairly underwhelming giant clam, but lots more beautiful coral than off Gili T. We had lunch on Gili Air before returning. We thought this trip was really worthwhile and were glad we had done it. I wish we had explored Gili Meno and Gili Air a bit more, but we were too busy being lazy. Next time! We were glad we had decided to stay on Gili T though, just because we enjoyed having such a large number and range of restaurants to choose from. I have written but not yet posted reviews for some of them. Poor service was fairly much ubiquitous but didn’t bother us. We weren’t tempted to partake in any magic mushrooms, although they were offered in many places - on signs, that is: only one waiter suggested my partner have them on his pizza, and he was laughing, obviously recognising we’re not the type.

Our return to Bali on Gili Cat, leaving Gili T at 9.00am, was less frustrating because we knew what to expect. We were also ushered into Premier class, along with many others, when it started “raining” in the back section of the boat again and we couldn’t find a dry seat. That problem must be driving the crew absolutely mad. I think it did stop after a while on the way back, but we were inside, dry and cool in the air conditioning so we were OK anyway. After we reached Padang Bai we were loaded into another full mini van. It took almost exactly two hours to get to Denpasar airport and we arrived about 2.00pm. Next time we go to Gili T, and there will be a next time, if we go by boat again, I will make sure to book early and get Premier class. But I think we will fly.

I don’t know that there’s a lot more to say about our lazy holiday, but I am happy to answer any questions.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report July 2011

times r changin... six atms, premier class on gili cat.. must have new boats. it is a nice part of the world.

if you go by plane next time it will take most of the day. even though the flight is short. there is still the check in time t bali, possible delays, car north and still a boat to the islands. if all goes well it could take 6 hours but it is a nice drive, the flight is fun, airports an experience. pesonally, if i flew i'd stay on lombok mainland for awhile then the gilis.

glad u had a nice time

Albany, Western...
Level Contributor
615 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report July 2011

Thanks rockterrigal for your comments. Yes, I thought that about flying, which is one of the reasons we took the boat - which took much longer than I was expecting it to/than is advertised. The return trip wasn't too bad, so maybe we will do it by boat again.

Staying on Lombok mainland could be nice, though. Any great places you would recommend?

Oh and there was something I forgot to comment on: stingers. Yes we did see some on a couple of days and felt them, too. The stings hurt for a few minutes and left marks that were a bit itchy for a while afterwards. Not a big deal for us, having grown up swimming in Western Australia where stingers are common. I did overhear an English girl on the snorkelling trip saying she'd been stung and it had only hurt for about ten minutes but she'd been terrified it would get worse. I think for kids or those not used to swimming in the ocean, being stung could be a bit scary. But, as long as you're not allergic to them (and I don't think it's common), not dangerous.

We also saw sea snakes, which was cool. Apparently they can be curious but have very small mouths so as long as they don't get you by the finger, you're all right. :-) The ones we saw weren't interested in us.

Edited: 31 July 2011, 07:34
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report July 2011

in lombok for starters there is kuta and sengiggi. a nice place, pretty but isolated is 'heaven on the planet' on the south east coast. there are lots of other places worth a visit or a short stay.

stingers - they are there and like you said, they could be worse.

seasnakes - great to see just dont get over the top of them when they come up for air. they are very curious as said. last trip i had one i was filming and looking through the lens and didn't realise how close it was - probably a mutual feeling.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report July 2011

Nice and helpful report, thank you. Planning on going to Gili T in Sept for 3 weeks. Does anyone know if High season ends at August 31st (and 2nd boat runs for most fastboat services stops)?

Lombok / Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report July 2011

If you do fly, you can arrange a pickup at the aiport with Dream Divers, who transport you to Teluk Nare and then over to whichever Gili you are staying in their speedboat. It is a great service, and makes the transfer by air pretty convenient. Details on their website under Transport.

However, do think about some time on Lombok next time - maybe somewhere like Jeeva Klui, and then do a waterfall tour, or go see Ikat weaving/pottery making etc. Then over to Gili T for some more lazing around...

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
303 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report July 2011

Wow..I stayed at Bale Sampan in July! It is a great little hotel.

I loved Gili T. I don't know when I will return, but I will go back one of these days. The pace, the people, the overall vibe make it a wonderful island. I only hope it remains that way. I hope that the Muslim influence of the local population prevents it from getting too crazy.

7. Re: Trip report July 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 18:17