We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

Which Gili Air hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Golden Beach...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

I have been watching youtube videos on Gili T, the majority show a very crowded beach, streets with lots of young people, maybe its not really the place for us?

One video taken by a couple in there early 30s showed the worst side of Gil T, they said they were asked like 8 or more times a day drugs/mushies (this would annoy us too).

The beach areas they showed had alot of scrappy pipes, trees, rubbish & very shallow water, even wading quite a distance out it was still only knee deep (north end)

They said the island was like Kuta bali, full of young people drinking and taking heaps of drugs, loud music, loud prayers 5 times aday, you could hear it on the video!!

This video was by far the only really bad view of the island, however all the videos showed a very busy island, lots of people like Kuta...plus the prices of one prawn or a small piece of fish was $5 aud.

There was only one video of Air to view.

any comments on Gili Air would be appreciated.

I might post this on Bali forum if I don't hear back...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

I was last on Gili T last August, so in the very peak of the peak season. Accommodation was quite hard to find. On Gili Air it was completely booked out. Gili T has more accommodation being more developed, so I was able to find something there for a few nights. It was busy, but really nothing like Kuta Bali. For a start, there are no motorised vehicles so the traffic is horse & cart, pushbikes, and pedestrians. It is NOTHING like Kuta Bali - a place I detest.

It is however reasonably busy with lots of travellers doing diving, walking around, sitting in cafes, lying on the beach and generally having fun. Maybe I just don't look like the type, but no-one offered me drugs - which they usually do in Kuta Bali. I'm sure if I asked around I could find some drugs, but if I get so much as a wiff of drugs I leave the area immediately in a place like Indonesia (and I didn't get a wiff).

In the evening we went out for a meal and would choose a cafe, there are plenty of pleasant places to try out. Prices are more expensive than mainland Lombok, as to be expected on a small island where everything needs to be brought in by boat, including water, but not terribly expensive - I recall around Rp40 - 50,000 being normal. There are also night markets where you can get very reasonable local food, and also if you head out of the main busy hub area, you can find local warungs where the locals eat. Remember the locals working on Gili T get paid less that $5 a day, so there are places where they eat that you can also if you really want a cheap meal.

There was only loud music at a couple of places in a fairly centralised area. I don't know what section of the island they filmed for the beach, but honestly it is easy to walk along and find a section of beach to enjoy. It is busy, there are lots of boats, especially closer to the area where the main jetty is. But I would hardly call it crowded.

Edited: 13 August 2012, 14:42
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

There are quieter bits and noisier bits,

I agree with eveything Sudiah outlines above but would add that if it concerns you then consider Gili Meno or Gili Air, or just day trip there form the mainland with a chartered boat.

That way you can move around at will and just head back to your hotel later in the afternoon.

You might even find that when you add it all up the costs are around the same even with a couple of boat charters but the total experience and flexibility is greater.

It is not like Kuta Bali, so don't worry about that. Chalk and cheese in that regard, you can eat both of them, but one tastes a lot better.

Golden Beach...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

Thanks so much for sharing your advice,

While we have stayed in Legian we have never been offered drugs either, I don't think we will have a problem as NO is easy enough to say. The beaches did look packed like Kuta, so i guess my reference was more to do with crowds of young people "everywhere" loud, drinking showing themselves up to be rude & disrespectful, however with more research I have read that the mix in Gili is more worldwide international adventureous crowds rather then the loud drunken bogans.

I had pm several TA members who I came across in Gili TA accomm reviews, a few members have got back to me in regards to accommodation, one member stayed at a place in Gili Air that was not to her liking but she mentioned that her family had come across 'several upmarket" places that she would certainly stay at next time..I received a message back this morning from her with suggestions...Villa Karang Gili Air,

i have read every review, it sounds fine (customer service at pool seems to be the biggest gripe) but it doesn't have fresh water, I have emailed asking if i could have a bucket of fresh water everyday to rince off...(i have skin issues)

also checked out OCEANS FIVE which tickes most boxes other then its not on the best beach area as its where boats come in...however it has fresh water..major plus...we can walk to other beach areas to swim.

What we did notice in lots of photos is Gili Air attracts alot of families & older travelers...

Hubby suggests we go from Qunci to Gili Air (ask Qunci is we can leave the bigger bags in lock room so we only need take a small carry bag each over to Gili's)

Book a few nights at Gili Air, pack our small bags on leaving, we take a boat trip over to T, i have a short list of a few places to stay (Scallywags & ???) if we can walk in without booking great then stay one or two nights or if we don't want to stay just jump back on the boat late arvo go back to Air.

Hubby doesn't normally like to stuff around with holiday time looking at accomm (we did that in Thailand) however I have convinced him its a small island, I will have a list of say 3 or 4, the first one that is available & we think is clean/suitable then thats the one....to easy!!!

If we love Gili T then we can stay 2 or 3 nights then head back to the mainland to catch our plane.

Two members, one with a family, the other middle aged like us both said they really enjoyed Gili T....better places to choose for eating out, however both also stated that Gili Air is special with its quieter vibe so maybe a bit of both...

A TA candidasa expert/member suggested Gili Meno as his favourite spot, we may even do a day trip over, glass bottom boat tour...check it out for future plans.

Back to researching our holiday...Gili Air & T accommodation...one bit of info that many don't mention...(i haven't read it anywhere) is how much time between each island does it take?

From T to Air please.

I have read times boats leave but not how long it takes.

I did read its a 10min boat ride from Lombok...is it that quick!

Edited: 14 August 2012, 02:26
Golden Beach...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

I just received another email from a TA Member with a few more photos of both Gili Air & T from her recent trip.....WOW all the photos look fabulous

she said when they return she would stay more nights at T due to the fact there are more options for food & activities, such as boat trips.

However they enjoyed both islands, T wins out for more to do/choice.

Danima looked very nice in her photos & its only a 5 min walk to town.

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone on this forum ESPECIALLY to those who have answered my questions but also to those that do post AFTER they get back so we all get to read their experiences which in turn are very helpful to others..big thanks to Bec.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

The boat ride from Lombok to Gili T is 10 minutes in a fast speed boat (e.g. the Dream Diver one I recommended in another post to you). If you catch the public ferry it is about 45mins to Gili T (a little less to Air as it is closer to the harbour).

From memory, the public ferry from Gili T to Gili Air took about 30 minutes.

Ontario
Level Contributor
107 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

HI, my husband and I stayed on Gili Air for 2 nights in July at The Beach Club and we absolutely LOVED it. Gili Air was so peaceful and relaxing. The beach is beautiful and the snorkeling is good. The island was very quiet and it's true, there is not much to do. But, that is what we were looking for. Snorkeling, swimming, and reading on the beach. Plus, it was great to get a good nights sleep with no noisy temples or parties around. I highly recommend Gili Air if you are looking to relax. We had not even planned on going to one of the Gili's but last minute decided to. We were so glad we did, but wished that we could have stayed longer than 2 days.

Have fun!

Manchester
Level Contributor
458 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

As previous posts have said, dont worry Gili T is nothing like Kuta. If it is busy at all then it tends to be around the pier and south of the pier where most of the backpacker places and bars are. The further north from the pier you go the quieter it gets (and by further north i only mean 5-10 mins walk).

Golden Beach...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

Hi crittermedic & phiphi thanks for sharing, it is all helpful to us.

Two days ago I came across the Beach club reviews & photos which appealed to me, I sent off an email with some questions & received a very speedy reply within the hour!!

Its now a toss up pretty much between The beach club & Oceans Five..

if anyone knows the location of either of these on Gili Air.. which is the better position, further from noise,mosque please let me know.

We have booked our flights last night to Lombok, contacted Lombok accomm to book, contacted Eko to drive us around some of Lombok, we are not booking for the Gili yet, no hurry we want to do some more research.

Thanks Sudiah for info on the boat trip over, I do have Dream divers in my travel book, I take notes to keep all the info sorted, I am a LIST girl!!

Do you suggest we get Tyhoid and Cholera shots?

Did anyone reading this get the shots or take your chances with just being extra careful washing hands etc etc ?

Manchester
Level Contributor
458 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

Typhoid is recommended by most GPs (in UK) but no need for cholera

Manchester
Level Contributor
458 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

You may want to consider anti malarials though. It is considered a risk area although from what I've read is indeed rare

Get answers to your questions about Gili Air