We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendation in Cabo Rojo

Which Cabo Rojo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hot Springs
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
recommendation in Cabo Rojo

We are going to PR in June and looked at Golf y Playa in Club Deportivo del Oeste in Cabo Rojo. Does anyone have info on this area or this condo complex in particular? It says it's on the beach in a gated community. How is driving in that area? Will fly to San Juan and drive there... about 3 1/2 hours?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendation in Cabo Rojo

Hola

I'm a puertorrican and I have a house in Cabo Rojo so I know the place pretty well. I do not know the Club Deportivo del Oeste but I can tell you some about Cabo Rojo and the are where it is located.

Cabo Rojo is one of the most beautiful places in Puerto Rico. It has amazing beaches, beautiful countryside, nice fishing villages where you will find great food and overall, it has the most amazing sunset you will find in the west. I searched up the Club Deportivo in the map and it is located in PR-102. That is very close to Boquerón, a small fishing village in the west coast. There you have great places for nightlife and eating seafood. Also close by is the Balneario de Boquerón, a pretty nice beach (balnearios are beaches sponsored by the government with beach facilities, contrary to most beaches in PR which are virgin). On that same road PR-102 you can find another village, Poblado de Joyuda, which has a natural reserve and where you have to try the "empanadillas" (fritters).

South of the Condo Complex, taking the PR-100 you will find two great beaches, one better than the other. The first one is Playa del Combate and the second is a little complicated to find, but it is the best beach in mainland Puerto Rico, is called Playa Sucia (literally "dirty beach"). This one is located next to the old spanish lighthouse in Punta Salinas. You will need to ask directions to get here because it can get tricky. You are going in june, so summer vacations are up and going. That means that the beaches could be overcrowded but if you try going on weekdays there is supposed to be less people.

There are other great places in the area, in the municipalities bordering Cabo Rojo but I don't know how much time you have. If you are interested in more info just ask, I'll be glad to help.

-JA

Clearwater
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendation in Cabo Rojo

Thank you, Merry Christmas, we are going in February, Bahia Salinas vs Copamarina, we want to see both areas, any suggestions we will have a car to travel around the entire general area.

Hot Springs
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendation in Cabo Rojo

Thank you so much for the info; we do want try some of the local favorites, but also like to cook in. Where is the least expensive grocery store? I heard there is a Walmart in Ponce but does it sell groceries?

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,143 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommendation in Cabo Rojo

Yes, the Ponce Walrmat does sell groceries. It is located right off the highway, by the Krispy Kreme/Kmart shopping center.

There's another Walmart in Mayaguez, which is closer to Cabo Rojo, but that Walmart does not sell many groceries. It only sells snacks.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommendation in Cabo Rojo

Hi there, El Club Deportivo del Oeste is located in the Joyuda sector of Cabo Rojo. It is a Condo complex, with a 9 hole golf course for members, tennis courts, pools and private security. Many people have it as their weekend gateway, but also many your pofessionals live there. There is no beach at the Condos, but you can can arrange to get someone take you in a boat ride to Isla de Ratones (name means rat island, but don't worry, no rat just a beautiful white sand beach). I really recommend that you rent a car. June is summer time in Cabo Rojo, and beaches get very crowded. I recommend Buye Beach (parking is like $3) and you should go to the lighthouse on route to Combate Beach. There are several supermarkets in the town of Cabo Rojo, close to Joyuda (5 minute car ride). Cabo Rojo is by far, the place with the most beautiful beaches in Puerto Rico. I grew up there, and my work has me traveling through the Caribbean Countries, and I have not seen any more beautiful set of beaches (more than 8) than in Cabo Rojo. Enjoy.

PD: Driving time from SJ to Cabo Rojo is 2 and half through South Road 52 and then Road 2, and Road 100 and the scenary in this route is nicer and mostly express way.

Edited: 24 December 2011, 18:17
Hot Springs
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recommendation in Cabo Rojo

thank you for this info; the photo of the condo complex shows beach?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recommendation in Cabo Rojo

The beach is not good for swimming.

Hot Springs
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recommendation in Cabo Rojo

What makes it not good for swimming? Rocky, too rough, etc?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: recommendation in Cabo Rojo

We stayed in a one bedroom condo in this community the first week of December this year. There are several buildings in the complex, we stayed in the one closest to the beach on the third floor and it was great. We got a great price and the condo was very clean, the balcony large and private and the bed was comfortable. AC worked great and the kitchen had full size appliances including oven, blender, large George Foreman griller, etc. There is also one outdoor barbecue out in front of the building. The ocean was about a hundred feet from our balcony. Beautiful views. You can wade in the ocean, but it's really shallow out front with lots of seaweed. However, if you walk about 5 minutes (literally) left from the condo down the beach and around a little rock point you'll find a decent little swimming beach with ropes and buoys. It was very quiet in December, with very few people there. I understand that most of the condos are owned by Puerto Ricans and are heavily used during the summer and holidays (much like US summer beach condos). Altogether, it was a great place to stay and central to the great beaches of Cabo Rojo and the Joyuda seafood restaurants. By the way, always allow way too much time to get to the airport in PR, as you never know if you'll get into traffic, an accident or whatever. Driving in PR is an art, as no blinkers are used and people weave in and out of lanes like stock car racers. You have to just start driving like they do! I would recommend staying away from Dollar Car Rentals even if they are a tad cheaper, as the service was lousy, the bait and switch on the insurances some of the sneakiest I've seen and the offsite office where you pick up and drop off the car is impossible to find and no instructions for return are given you. We couldn't find it for over an hour and really almost missed our plane!

I'd highly recommend the condo complex, as there really are not that many rental options right in the Cabo Rojo area.

10. Re: recommendation in Cabo Rojo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:40
Get answers to your questions about Cabo Rojo