We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tigaki - What is the resort really like - advice please

Which Tigaki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tigaki - What is the resort really like - advice please

Hello all

Im thinking about a holiday to Kos next July for me and my husband - couple in our 40's and have been looking at Tigaki and Kefalos - I think Im favouring Tigaki as it appears there seems to be a little more going on and has a nice beach, and someone mentioned to me that a lot of places in Kefalos has closed due to the big all inclusive hotels which is a shame

.So I Just wanted to know what Tigaki is really like - is there enough bars, restaurants and shops to keep you occupied. Im not after lots of clubs etc just enough bars/restaurants to choose from. I have previously stayed in tsilivi in Zante and Kamari in Santorini - so looking for similar resorts.

Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tigaki - What is the resort really like - advice please

I'm biased because we love Tingaki, it will be our 3rd visit in 3 years in Sept! It is flat as opposed to Kefalos, which is quite hilly. Tingaki has arguably the best beach on the island and is much nearer to Kos town, 20 minutes by bus. There are a fair few bars and restaurants, some small shops and a larger supermarket on the outskirts.

lancashire
Level Contributor
48 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tigaki - What is the resort really like - advice please

We agree with the above review. Also biased and on our 6th trip back to Tingaki in about 5 or 6 years. It has everything you need and a visit to Kos Town both during the day and in the evening is a must. Everyone there is so friendly and even after one visit they remember you!

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tigaki - What is the resort really like - advice please

Kefalos itself is a village on top of a hill. However the resort is situated around Kamari Bay and is flat.

There have not been a lot of premises that have been shut. There is a new AI but, that is situated a few miles away and not likely to have any effect.

It is a quiet resort and rather strung out.

Beach is alright at and I have been told that the beach at Tigaki is very good.

Have been to Kefalos a few times and receive a good welcome and is the cheapest resort we know around the islands.

We have booked flights for next year and return from Kos. Are thinking of giving Tigaki a visit for our last few days.

Looking at some posts mossies seem to be an issue at Tigaki.

Edited: 09 August 2011, 20:40
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tigaki - What is the resort really like - advice please

We have a soft spot for Tigaki, maybe because if was the first place we visited in Greece and have returned around a dozen times in the past 15 years and although we try other places we seem to return. There are plenty of tavernas and some bars, all of which have been mentioned before on TA, and a lovely beach. Have not been to Zante or Santorini but went to Skala on Kefalonia last year and noted, with the exception of the beach, the similarity in layout and atmosphere to Tigaki. Before you book it may be worth coming back to check on any accommodation you are looking at as some are quite a way out of the resort.

When people ask about Tigaki I always also mention Mastihari, a bit smaller and more traditional then Tigaki, also with a lovely beach and you can take the ferry over to Kalymnos for the day if you want. Have a look at Daphne's link below which will give you an overview. Being smaller there are not so many places through packages but plenty if you want to travel indpendently.

www.mastihari-uncovered.com

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tigaki - What is the resort really like - advice please

Hello Marg

Also stayed at Mastihari this year and booked a room through Daphne. As you say there is a good beach there and the village is quite compact.

Would you choose Tigaki in preference to Mastihari and if so please advise.

Thanks

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tigaki - What is the resort really like - advice please

Although we visit Mastihari everytime we go for a meal, drink, meeting friends or the ferry we haven't stayed there yet so I would be interested in your views on this as we thought we may try it for a change. I tend to advise Mastihari as well in case people want something a bit more traditional. Tigaki is more of a resort, originally built up from farming land (many of the smaller apartments, tavernas and bars are still owned by the original families) but what it lacks in tradition it more than makes up for in friendliness, beach and some good tavernas. It is a bit like coming home to us.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tigaki - What is the resort really like - advice please

Hi

Thanks for the replies - with regards to the accommodation Im looking at the Akti Dimis, Tigaki Star and Kalloudis - cant make my mind up - I like to be near the Beach and not to far away from the centre - but far away to get some sleep.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tigaki - What is the resort really like - advice please

we went akti dimis in june loved it very clean nice pool right opp the beach they bring u your drinks from akti to the beach if u want , about 6or8 min walk to the centre so not so far, very quite in the day and night will stay there again for def, dont no about t/star but walked past kalloudis that was the choice i had between them to glad i choose dimis ,kalloudis is in about the middle of the main st also so quite. the rooms are basic in dimis and not very big but ok for us we had a double and single bed in our room it was a room 4 three people we paid a little more for that i would do that again the single bed was usefull for puting our cases on all in all a great hol there karen.

London, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tigaki - What is the resort really like - advice please

I vote Tigaki and maybe Akti Dimis it's right on the beach you will love it and Also with that you get Bianca the best bar girl she's lovely. May & June is not so good for the mos but now they is not so many.

preston
Level Contributor
206 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tigaki - What is the resort really like - advice please

Paradise!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Tigaki
Recent Conversations