We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walk to Kos town

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
walk to Kos town

Hi, going to Kos in October and staying at Akti Dimis, can anyone let me know roughly how far in miles it is from Tigaki to Kos town as have heard it is a 5 mile trip roughly one way, and we were thinking of walking/cycling there!! thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walk to Kos town

Hi there

Yes, you're right , it's about 5 miles, possibly a tad more, but it's a very pleasant cycle ride as it's almost completely flat and there are lots of cycle paths to use , keeping you away from the traffic on the main road. We did this run a few years ago and the cycle track brings you out into the suburbs of Kos Town.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walk to Kos town

Some years ago I walked Kos town - Tigaki and return. At that time the distance was estimated to 9 kms one way. Walking along the coast was flat and easy, but you should mind the sun - the rays are strong, and mainly hitting one side of your neck - you can be easily burned....

From town I walked my way through the Lambi area in the outskirts.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
192 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walk to Kos town

We did the cycle ride from Tingaki to Kos town, about four years ago, in October, so the weather was just right, not too hot. Lovely ride, very flat. Enjoy!!

sunderland
Level Contributor
77 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walk to Kos town

hi we were thinking of going to tingaki in september, im abit wary as ive never heard of it before, i want greece of old,but i also want more than 2 or 3 tavernas

has anyone been before please tell me more, i fancied kardemena but dont want to end up in all the noise

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walk to Kos town

I love Tigaki but mainly because the beach is probably the best on Kos, the people are really friendly and there are some very good tavernas, but, it is more of a resort and not that traditional. May be worth looking at Mastihari as it is more of a working village.

www.mastihari-uncovered.com

Edited: 20 July 2012, 16:12
Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walk to Kos town

Not sure what the "Greece of old" is but Tigaki is a purpose built resort so it's probably not what you're looking for. Saying that it has one of, if not the best, beach on the island, has some great restaurants/tavernas and a handful of great bars, it's also one of the friendliest places we've ever been to, we love it.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walk to Kos town

Yep, agree with the 2 previous posts. not sure these days where you go to get traditional greece.

If you go to Tigaki, you can take a trip up to Phili which is a 10 minute drive or half an hour cycle, probably as close as you'll get to traditional greece in that area, really nice and quaint, but still geared up to see tourists.

BOB...

sunderland
Level Contributor
77 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walk to Kos town

hi thanks for your reply,tingaki sounds really lovely,what is the weather like at the end of september and does it get windy on one side of the island like it does in rhodes

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walk to Kos town

Yes, it can get quite windy on the west side of the island at times, we've occasionally had to abandon the beach due to being sandblasted, lol.

We've never been at the end of September so not sure what the weather is like then although I'd guess it would still be fairly hot and dry.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: walk to Kos town

Kos doesn't have any steady or regular winds that can compare with Rhodes. It is geographically located differently (east - west) while Rhodes is north - south. The main beaches are to the east and the north.

Get answers to your questions about Tigaki
Recent Conversations