We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report, Tigaki, Kos, May 2012 - part 2

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,754 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report, Tigaki, Kos, May 2012 - part 2

23rd - 26th May 2012

Wednesday was another walking/biking day. Initially I had thought of getting a taxi up to Zia, then walking up the mountain or back to Kos Town (or both). Anyway, we decided to try and bike it, but not via the main road. We went up to Zipari, by now having found the cut through, then up to the reservoir near Messaria. From there it was an easy route, with the help of my excellent terrain map of Kos, to get to Zia, although naturally we had to push the bikes quite a lot as it was either steep or very rough (or both). We had a refreshment stop in Zia, then cycled along the recently tarmacked road past the Asklepion and down to Platani, where it was time for more refreshments. I was pleased to see that although the route has now been tarmacked all the way, it is still very quiet and the views of course are as stunning as ever. My GPS told me that I reached the dizzy speed of 35km per hour on the way down, at which point the slight buckle in my rear wheel probably made me look a bit like a bucking bronco…

On Wednesday night we ate at Rodini. Again, a lovely meal, but again, in our opinion not quite as good as Esperos. Afterwards we called into Theokritos and had a chat with Louise about the possibility of a hydrofoil to Rhodes on the Friday. Apparently the trips haven’t started yet, possibly due to paperwork problems. Maybe following on from similar problems in some islands with licencing/inspections etc. last year?

We also talked about the insect problem. Firstly, let me say I was not bitten at all while I was there, which is something of a record. But as night fell, the closer we were to the salt lake, the more small flies there were around. I don’t think they were the biting kind, but they were disruptive. I am assured by a restaurant owner I was talking to, that the business owners have made deputations to the mayor of Kos about this. Although this year the problem should be over when the lake dries out in a few weeks time, hopefully it won’t happen again next year. It’s all to do not just with spraying, but with allowing the channels from the sea to the lake to open up (apparently).

On Thursday we got up bright and early to bike to Kos Town harbour, where we had already booked the 3 island boat trip on the Katerina. We arrived nice and early so had a quick coffee in one of the bars by dolphin roundabut, waching the morning activities.

I have done a review of the boat trip, suffice to say it was a fantastic day out. Link follows:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

When we got back, we decided to have a meal at one of my favourite tavernas from over the years, Mummy’s cooking. We had a meal which was certainly as good as Esperos, and it was nice to see the proprietor again, who treated me like a long-lost buddy! We biked back in the twilight with a gale blowing directly against us most of the way, and had a couple of beers in the Miros bar.

On the Friday, we decided to have a day relaxing, doing our own things. The weather was lovely, so I spent some time by the pool and on the beach. In mid-afternoon we went along to King-size bar and had a few beers, each round coming with considerable amounts of free food. After showering etc. we went to Esperos again – we had already decided that we would go there on the last 2 nights.

On the Saturday we went for a “small walk” to the salt lake. This ended up with us walking all the way round, and we saw evidence of the flies breeding grounds, and also a few terrapins – which were for the most part a lot bigger than ones I have seen before. On the way back we stopped off at Alikes restaurant – as its name suggests, it is the closest one to the lake. Here everything seemed very reasonably-priced, and good quality in nice surroundings – a large Mythos €2.00, a good-sized Greek salad with a big lump of feta for €2.80. I did some last minute shopping for the family, and just had time for a quick swim before going out early-doors to Esperos. I had kept my room on right till the coach came (8.30pm) so we could all get a shower etc., for a very reasonable €20.

We were a bit short of time in the restaurant, so declined their offer of some cake or liqueurs – so they put some in a polystyrene tray (cake that is) for us to take to the airport.

The coach was dead on time, the plane arrived back on time, then we had to wait an hour for our luggage at Manchester….

All in all, it went very well. Thanks to all those who helped me choose where to stay, and all those who recommended restaurants and walks as well.

Thanks everyone

Steve.

Mentioned in this post
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Alikes
Alikes
346 Reviews
Kos, Greece
Esperos
Esperos
494 Reviews
Kos, Greece
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
oldbury, west...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report, Tigaki, Kos, May 2012 - part 2

Hi Steve. Great report. Made me feel like I was back there. Your review on the boat trip sounded lovely. Trouble is, hubby's not very good on a boat. Last time we went on one was in Tenerife. The sea was like a mill pond, and we all know where that description came from. It wasn't until we finally got off the boat, going back to our apartments that he told me he'd felt as sick as a dog and nearly threw up. Yes great report. Don't forget to do one for Pefkos.

Cheers

Denise.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report, Tigaki, Kos, May 2012 - part 2

Gorgeous trip report, thank you! I'm glad you had a great trip ;-)

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report, Tigaki, Kos, May 2012 - part 2

Lovely trip report Steve. I wish I had your energy.

Pontefract, United...
Destination Expert
for Kos
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report, Tigaki, Kos, May 2012 - part 2

Glad you enjoyed it Steve the Tarmac road back to kos from other side of zia is nice now years ago when it was just a dirt track it was hard work ridding down with big boulders all over the place but you did see a lot of tortoises on your way back to asklipion next time try the ride over to kardamena through pili over the mountain that's a great ride

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,754 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report, Tigaki, Kos, May 2012 - part 2

Thanks all. Keithpaula, I did wonder about that road over to Kardamena, it looks good on the map. I'd walked down the road from Zia to Asklepion twice before it was tarmacked. In the walking book I had (Graf) there is an alternative route, still on paths, which I might try next time - but not with a bike!

Mentioned in this post
Kardamena
Kardamena
Kos, Greece
Asklepion
Asklepion
1,635 Reviews
Kos, Greece
Pontefract, United...
Destination Expert
for Kos
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report, Tigaki, Kos, May 2012 - part 2

Hi Steve the way over to kardamena through pili has some great views and has you are going down on your right is a large knights of st John castle walls which were built around the hill then the top was taken away to below the wall it's a great place to see with all the little building still in it with various original painting still on the walls and roof , the best way to this if your walking over is at top of mountain with some kind of factory on your left take next right which brings you back to the main airport road take left from here keep walking till you come to the wall around the army camp turn left their and walk up to the castle you may have already been but if not

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,754 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report, Tigaki, Kos, May 2012 - part 2

Before we went, I had a look at some walks round Kardamena and Antimachia, but thought the logistics of getting there and or back from Tigaki without a taxi might be a bit difficult - not so bad if you're on your own, but I wouldn't have wanted to end up in the middle of nowhere with my mates only to find there was no bus. However, now I know a lot of that part of the island is bikeable it opens up lots more options.

Mentioned in this post
Kardamena
Kardamena
Kos, Greece
Tigaki Beach
Tigaki Beach
1,260 Reviews
Kos, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report, Tigaki, Kos, May 2012 - part 2

Keep it coming Steve, enjoying every word.

9. Re: Trip Report, Tigaki, Kos, May 2012 - part 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:41
Get answers to your questions about Tigaki
Recent Conversations