We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menu Prices

North Yorks
Level Contributor
274 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Menu Prices

I know that this is a very open question as retaurants vary in quality and price but can anyone give eamples of e.g

A large beer

Soft drink

Pizza

Chefs Salad

Moussaka

Carafe of Wine

Stifado

Chicken and Chips

North Yorks
Level Contributor
274 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Menu Prices

Any information much appreciated am just trying to plan budget.

Also I know this may seem stupid but what can I expect from a Gyros?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,804 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Menu Prices

A large beer

€3 or just under in a restaurant, bit more in a bar. Cheapest I found was in Alykes restaurant near the saltlake, €2 for large Mythos (€2.80 for Greek salad, see below.

Soft drink (what's that ha ha)

€2

Pizza

From about €6 I think

Chefs Salad

Greek salad anything from €2.80 but usually €5, Chef salad usually €6 I would think

Moussaka

Not sure, probably €7

Carafe of Wine

0.5 l about €5

Stifado

About €8

Chicken and Chips

Not often available outside grill house, restaurants tend to do fillet of chicken etc., at about €7

<<Also I know this may seem stupid but what can I expect from a Gyros?>>

Not stupid at all. It's a circular pitta bread, wrapped into a cone, filled with pork meat (or chicken), chips, onion, tzatziki, and tomato. The meat is grilled on an upright spit. It's a similar cooking arrangement to a donner kebab here, but the meat is NOTHING LIKE donner meat - it is actual recognisable pieces of meat laid together to form a circular gyros 'tower'. Expect to pay about €2.80 for a gyros pitta, although I didn't have one in Tigaki this year, only in Kos town.

You can often get a gyros portion or plate, obviously a larger portion of the same things served on a plate with the pitta bread cut up into quarters on one side of the plate, usually about €7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_(food)

Edited: 16 June 2012, 18:11
North Yorks
Level Contributor
274 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Menu Prices

Thank you Steve,

Your information is just want I wanted.

Regards

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,804 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Menu Prices

No problem, have good trip!

kent
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Menu Prices

A good appraisal of prices over there Steve. I didn't have a clue how much I was paying for beer or wine.......I just ordered it.....but most meat based main courses were around 7/8 euro. An excellent description of Gyros too, though if you go to Kenny's in Mastihari ....Stamatis puts chips in them as well as everything else!!

Pontefract, United...
Destination Expert
for Kos
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Menu Prices

Steve a very good description of a traditional gyros it's making my mouth water but mastihari0phi with chips in it that's taking away the traditional flavours you get with a gyros when we first went to tigaki you could not get chips only wedges our kids faces looking at them

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Menu Prices

Hi steve alykes restaurant 2euros thats good not been there befor have to try is the food ok and can u just nip in for a drink is it past the aussie bar ? Of tingaki on sat . Karen

kent
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Menu Prices

Then just take the chips out!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,804 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Menu Prices

Karen, we came across the alykes when we walked round the salt lake. It's nearest the lake at the inland end, there's a row of about 3 tavernas next to each other. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that! You can certainly go in just for a drink. One of us had the Greek salad, €2.80, and it looked fine - big lump of feta, good portion of salad.

I don't know why it was so much cheaper than all the others, hopefully will still be the same price when you go!

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Menu Prices

Meant to say 2euros for a large mythos thats good.

Get answers to your questions about Tigaki
Recent Conversations