We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The road to puerto de mogan - for a bad traveller

Which Puerto de Mogan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
HSE
North East
Level Contributor
508 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
The road to puerto de mogan - for a bad traveller

Hi all, can anyone advise honestly how bad this trip from the airport to Puerto De Mogan really is for a nervous passenger subject to travel sickness.

Is it all windy roads and cliffs or is there a motorway at all? On a typical thomas cook coach can anyone advise an approximate time to be on the coach?

Sorry to be a pain but this will be the decider as to whether I have to book a private taxi instead.

Many Thanks, Helen

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The road to puerto de mogan - for a bad traveller

Motorway all the way to P. Rico then yes there are some hairy stretches onto P. Mogan above the coastline. This final rollercoaster stretch only takes around 20 minutes though before decending into P. Mogan. Total journey time is around an hour or so. The final link in the motorway all the way down to P. Mogan is well underway now, which will cut the journey time from the airport considerably !!!!!

surrey
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The road to puerto de mogan - for a bad traveller

The last time we went to Puerto Mogan on a package holiday we said we would always book a private transfer in the future.

Puerto Mogan is the last drop off and we were taken high up into the cliff tops of Puerto Rico to drop off fellow passengers. The windy journey between Puerto Rico and Puerto Mogan was the least of our worries.

This doesn't happen all of the time but i think it is something you should be aware of as you are a nervous passenger.

Mondeo is quite right when he says total journey is only an hour or so but that would be if it was a straight run.

I am sure you will have a lovely holiday in Puerto Mogan - you have chosen well ;o)

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,619 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The road to puerto de mogan - for a bad traveller

Some tour operators have things like "platinium /gold " holidays where part of this guarentees first drop off ,so firstly check this out with your booking if it is first drop off apart from a slightly longer wait to set off from the airport ,the journey itself shouldnt take any longer than via taxi .

To help its maybe best for the person who suffers with travel sickness ,to sit in a taxi in a rear seat of the right facing the front ,on a bus /coach sit on the right too .Often its the movement of the white lines that whilst sitting in the front causes this ,also as explained by Mondeo the last stretch from Puerto Rico to Mogan is where the roads may cause issue but sitting on the right without the direct view of the coast line .

If they suffer from travel sickness on planes ,boats (sea sickness) and as mentioned cars and buses try this,place a small piece of elastoplast behind each ear where the lobe joins this helps the balance sensor which is sited there.As ex navy this was used by many that suffered from sea sickness and family members who once where trawlermen .

Hope this helps ,and you have a fantastic time

HSE
North East
Level Contributor
508 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The road to puerto de mogan - for a bad traveller

Hi all thanks very much for your comments, really not sure what to do, can manage the motorway no problem and if it's only a further 20 mins to PD Mogan thats not too bad I guess it's the drop off that will get us down as you just want to get there don't you!!!!

Go on January 30th - shame the tunnel won't be open then!!!!

Many thanks again, Helen

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The road to puerto de mogan - for a bad traveller

Helen, I was dreading this trip as well as I can't travel on coaches, we had a private taxi transfer each way last October and went again in October this year (55 euros each way with Canarytransfers.com), I took a travel tablet and was perfectly fine, it really was the coming back I was dreading (get worked up an hour or so before) but I sat on the left side of the taxi and saw nothing scary/hairy. I am ok going as you are on the right and so excited about going to Mogan to worry about the hairy bends. Hope you do end up going to Mogan as it is so worth the journey. Took us this October up to 50 minutes in a steady taxi ride. Staying in Puerto Rico for New Year, looking forward to it but really wish we had booked again for Mogan, but will take a taxi there for a day, booked also for Mogan again next October, so if I can do it I bet you can. Have a great time and look forward to hearing your views when you get back

Jo

Brighton
Level Contributor
105 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The road to puerto de mogan - for a bad traveller

It's not great - and that was with my husband driving a rental car, but then I don't like his driving at the best of times - let alone the wrong side of the road in the dark without knowing where you are going!

But seriously, it's the last few miles that are quite winding - from Taurito to Mogan really, takes about 10 mins. We've also done the journey in a taxi which was ok, although they do drive quite fast because they know the roads. But if you are a bad travellier take a pill and a taxi is my advice, at least then if you do feel poorly you can tell the driver to slow down, or stop, and you can open your window. Our daughter isn't a good traveller, but is always better in the front seat for some reason?

But Mogan is the best resort on the island - we have spent three New Years there, it really is fab and worth the trip x

HSE
North East
Level Contributor
508 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The road to puerto de mogan - for a bad traveller

Thanks again for your responses taxi it is!!! I don't want to get myself worked up about it and spoil it so were biting the bullet and paying for the taxi, got a good price off click transfers.com £87 return taxi. So looking forward to it now and a big weight off my shoulders!

Can't wait!!!

Thank you all, Helen

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The road to puerto de mogan - for a bad traveller

It's a cliff road, but is - at least, for another few months until the new section of motorway is opened - the main road to Puerto de Mogan. Local coaches and buses are very safe, and it's a very scenic way to see the south coast (and Mt Teide on Tenerife from some parts, on a clear day) - just try to enjoy the views and not worry about the road.

I guess the downside is that, by opening up that part of the coast, there will be increasing development past Puerto Rico; Puerto de Mogan has grown enormously since I started going there in 1999, and even Taurito and Playa del Cura are advancing back up their valleys. Still, that's tourism, I guess!

surrey
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The road to puerto de mogan - for a bad traveller

I believe that HSE has already been to Puerto Mogan by now. I wonder if she will come back and let us know how she got on? ;o)

p.s. have just had a look and her review has been posted!

Edited: 19 February 2012, 21:39
10. Re: The road to puerto de mogan - for a bad traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Puerto de Mogan