We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a visa for China when in Macau

Nanning, China
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting a visa for China when in Macau

I was wondering if it's possible to get a visa for a quick trip to China while I'm in Macau and if so how long would it take to get one?

Thanks for any help.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a visa for China when in Macau

If only to Zhuhai, you could apply a special visa on arrival at port allowing only visiting Zhuhai within 3 days. If go further to other parts of China, you need a formal China Visa which can be get within one day through local travel company like:

http://www.cts.com.mo/visa/htm/vs_t3.htm

Nanning, China
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a visa for China when in Macau

Thanks very much OrientalRed. 1 Day wait might be alright. Any places in China near to Macau worth going to in particular?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a visa for China when in Macau

I certainly HOPE that visa issue in Macau has relaxed since the end of the University Games this summer! The requirements for anything other than VOA for Zhuhai earlier this year were incredibly strict: it was right back to 1980, with requirement to show confirmed & paid bookings for all travel and hotels for every day of one's intended stay as well as confirmed travel arrangements for return to one's home country :-( And that was applying at CTS or the Foreign Affairs Bureau.

So, Baztripping, unless you are either only planning on visiting Zhuhai, or you can get a first person report from someone who has managed to get a general mainland visa since this summer, I would strongly advise applying for a visa in your home country.

Also, please note that American and French citizens are not eligible for Visa On Arrival at Zhuhai.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a visa for China when in Macau

Simply call in advance and make sure you can get the visa in Macao. For Shenzhen, there also is a visa on arrival, but I was told the Shenzhen Wan (+ferry terminal) border visa office is not always open. Better to call in advance as well. The other three borders can only be reached from HK.

Applying a visa at home usually is a good idea.

Nanning, China
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting a visa for China when in Macau

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't intend to apply for a Visa for China before I go to Macau. I only have a week in Macau, I was only considering going to China if it was relatively straightforward and even then it's dependant on whether I have the time or inclination to go there once I'm in Macau.

Also it might be a lot of hassle for me to go about getting a Visa from here in Portugal as I'm actually from a different EU country - not sure if that would make the process more difficult or not than if I was dealing with it in my home country.

So for those 2 reasons I'm not inclined to get a Visa before I leave for Macau. If I can get one while I'm in Macau that'd be great but if not I'll just enjoy Macau and Hong Kong and who knows maybe will do China at some later date.

Edited: 05 November 2011, 15:07
6. Re: Getting a visa for China when in Macau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2013, 15:44
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting a visa for China when in Macau

Caspar - I'm sure such a list exists, but it seems that revealing it is a breach of the State Secrets act :-P As far as I know, France is the only EU country on the list, and I seem to remember that this happened after some high level meeting between French politicians and the Dalai Lama.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting a visa for China when in Macau

You can call them in advance. China may change the visa policies from time to time. They treat different European countries differently as different European countries have different regulations to issue visa for Chinese nationals - yes, different even within the Schengen region.

c
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting a visa for China when in Macau

the VOA is ONLY for Zhuhai, and you can not go out of city limit (well, you CAN , and god knows I had, but it is not allowed for the visa regulations) ...

Alternatively , you can apply for a REAL visa inside Macau, go to the CTS main office, if you arrive in the morning, you can get your visa in the same day afternoon ...you need hotel reservation in china (easily obtainable from internet) and a return ticket outside of china ...

It is true about the different VOA for europe , I myself have 3 different pasports - on one of them the cost was 105$, the other - almost 800$ !!!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting a visa for China when in Macau

I wouldn't count on being able to get a same day visa, even from CTS - even before the University Games they had really cracked down on this, and even if you can get it it is MUCH more expensive than getting a visa in one's own country.