We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Escapo Lisboa or Albergue 1601

Which Macau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
193 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Escapo Lisboa or Albergue 1601

Which in your opinion has better food choices and quality. I have read both reviews and both seem impressive. I have currently made reservations at La Porcha but I am now thinking of changing to either of the two above. I can only go to one. Ps. I don't eat pork.

Beijing
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Escapo Lisboa or Albergue 1601

I wasn't impressed with Alburgue 1601. I think it's become a tourist trap kind of place. I had to pay $28 for olives? They're usually free. $200 for corkage? I know plenty of places that are $50. The food was ok, but certainly nothing special. The best thing about the restaurant is where it's located. Other than that, average.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,345 posts
5,582 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Escapo Lisboa or Albergue 1601

Hello mlogan,

Both are very good restaurants but I'd probably give an edge to Albergue 1601 for atmosphere and the African Chicken, their version being one of my two top choices of this dish in Macau. Escapo Lisboa has a wider menu selection though. To be fair, I doubt you will be disappointed with either choice! Definitely two good options you are considering.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 02:31
Brisbane
Level Contributor
193 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Escapo Lisboa or Albergue 1601

Thanks for both of your replies. BradJill, you are the one that has made me rethink my portugeuse dining experience after reading both your reviews of these restaurants and viewing your photos. I must say the photos of the african chicken dish you had at Albergue 1601 looks to die for. Well I have a month to decide.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Escapo Lisboa or Albergue 1601

Hi,

Espaco if you are in Cotai or Taipa. Personally to make the journey to Coloane from Macau Peninsula,then to wait for the food--I think those olives would done me already.

Albergue 1601- nice setting..and well, do check Groupon if they are still offering..pity though,believe they are really good for their Iberico pork dish.

La Porcha?? refering to ALorcha--hmm, iPhone's autospell working its magic??

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Escapo Lisboa or Albergue 1601

Opps..what about Henri's Gallery??

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Escapo Lisboa or Albergue 1601

I also love african chicken at Albergue 1601 and for sitting outside is so nice in the night time. But Henri's gallery is the best I think.. It is so good there and can have nice view of the lake if you eat at outside tables. But my favourite restaurant is A Lorcha for seafood.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,345 posts
5,582 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Escapo Lisboa or Albergue 1601

:-) I believe the restaurant being referred to is called Henri's Galley (not gallery) and yes the African Chicken meal here is particularly good there! Perhaps Maxim's is getting an early jump on the growing Macau art scene (gallery) though. Wouldn't be surprising considering the number of business ventures they try!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Escapo Lisboa or Albergue 1601

>> I believe the restaurant being referred to is called Henri's Galley (not gallery) <<

Ha ha ha... I really thought they hung some Picasso or van Gogh artworks in the dining room.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
193 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Escapo Lisboa or Albergue 1601

You are all not making it easy for me to choose which restaurant to have my Portuguese dining experience...haha....I am a definite foodie and a fussy one so can I ask the experts again, who makes the best African Chicken and who has the best seafood selection? Many thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,345 posts
5,582 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Escapo Lisboa or Albergue 1601

>>>I really thought they hung some Picasso or van Gogh artworks in the dining room.<<<

LOL... Happyfeet1234, they do hang some pictures inside but they aren't Picasso or Van Gogh pieces....... I can assure you of that. ;-)

mlogan,

Each of the restaurants mentioned within this thread serve very good African Chicken and Seafood. I'm sure you'll be pleased with your meal whichever you choose. I might personally choose in the following order:

For African Chicken

1.) Albergue 1601 / Henri's (spicier and more flavourful versions)

3.) A Lorcha (Peri-peri chicken - think drier almost bbq version)

4.) Escapo Lisboa (a bit sweeter version with coconut shavings)

Seafood

1.) A Lorcha

2) Escapo Lisboa / Henri's

4) Albergue 1601

Others might reverse the order. Its nothing more than a matter of personal preference. Enjoy your dining in Macau.