We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macau to HK - Transport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Macau to HK - Transport

I am planning my trip and have 6 days allocated to see Macau and Hongkong, any suggestions on how I can maximise my trip.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macau to HK - Transport

Best to allocate most time in HK. You can do Macau as a day trip. Much more to see and do in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,078 posts
5,945 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macau to HK - Transport

You can make day trips to Macau but the days of it being a day trip only from Hong Kong have long passed. That was the case 6-7 years ago but these days, with the explosion in tourism in Macau, there is enough there to keep you quite busy for 2-3 days.

We generally recommend that visitors to Hong Kong not visit Macau unless they have 4+ days in Hong Kong first. Since you've six days, I'm inclined to suggest a 4/2 split (HK/Macau). For information about Hong Kong it is best to visit the Hong Kong forum to read up on 'What to do/see'. You can find this information in the Top Questions (FAQ), which is found on the right hand side of the forum. There is a similar section on this Macau forum as well. Or simply have a look at these Macau resources as well. The UNESCO World Heritage attractions can take over a day to visit on their own so you have to be a bit choosey.

Macau – Top Attractions (by area)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i26979-Macau_To…

Macau World Heritage (by area)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i33082-Macau_Wo…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g664891-d619…

If you do decide that a day trip is more suitable. Here are a couple resources to help you think about what you want to do/see during your day in Macau. It can be difficult deciding with only one day.

Macau Day Trip from HK (what you need to know)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Macau Day Trip (Macau Highlights – Day Trip)

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g664891-d251…

Hope this is helpful.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Macau to HK - Transport

G'day,

suggest to plan trip to Macau on Tuesday onwards--Mon - famed eateries/restaurants closed,and also museums. Weekdays not so crowded with Chinese Mainlanders .

Head to Senado Square possibly before 10/11am, when shops are only slowly opening up-so not so crowded with the walk to St Paul Ruins..though the fresh market/traders off the lanes of Senado Square will be busy already. A trip to Coloane is always nice- the countryside of Macau- beach , Panda Pavilion, vantage point -AMa statue, not so crowded Coloane village- famed Lord Stow's cafe/bakery, cosy restaurants (e.g. Espaco(Space). Scenic bus ride.

Also to take note there is direct ferry (schedule permitting) from HKIA to Macau and vice versa. Check Turbojet website for schedules and fares.

+1 with BradJill's suggestion- 4/2 split and on last leg of split,schedule permitting, take ferry direct from Macau to HKIA for your flight back home...if that is your travel plan to fly out of HKIA.

Some reasonably priced hotels putting you in heart of Macau with easy walking to heritage sites- Sintra, Metropole, Royal.

Have a great holiday in HK and Macau.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macau to HK - Transport

Thank's or the info.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macau to HK - Transport

Thanks, the info are very helpful.. and the links.

6. Re: Macau to HK - Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 05:16