We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macau to Shenzhen airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Macau to Shenzhen airport

Hi, my lOnely PLanet for China says there are ferries from Macau to Shenzhen airport - says they take an hour but that there are only 5 ferries running between 1130 and 730pm.

I might end up needing to catch a 1255 hours plane from Shenzhen so if the first ferry was truly not until 1130 am then obviously i cant get to Shenzhen from Macau in that case id have to ferry back early to HK or stay the night in HK.

thanks for anyones information from recent experiences...

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macau to Shenzhen airport

What edition was this Lonely Planet? Did they mention the carrier?

According to this Turbojet (the service carrier) page, the first ferry from Macau to Shenzhen Airport is at 09:40 am. I think it is current.

turbojet.com.hk/en/routing-sailing-schedule/…

I think it should be okay for your 12:55 pm flight.

Or else you can consider doing: Macau to Shenzhen Shekou and stay near Shekou the night before. From there to Shenzhen Airport is only 30 minutes or so. And not stay in Hong Kong because it takes border crossing and all that in the morning. Shenzhen hotels are at a much lower rate than Hong Kong at any event, just for the night en route.

London, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macau to Shenzhen airport

hi thanks so much for the very helpful link...i usually do a google myself and therefore encourage the poster im trying to help to find it online and in my own case i dont know why i didnt think of looking to see if they had a website lol!!..as its Turbojet that is nmed in my LP as being the carrier.

BTW my LP was the newest edition that came out last year just before i headed to China for a year... so thanks for your reply as it looks quite doable as long as i dont miss the 940 sailing!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macau to Shenzhen airport

Good deal! Looks like LP is a little bit behind! :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,521 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macau to Shenzhen airport

Do make sure your Chinese visa is in order as Bao'an airport is outside the range of the SEZ VoA.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
295 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macau to Shenzhen airport

All the advice above is good. Do not even think of staying in HK the night before.

I would caution slightly on the Macau to Shenzhen Ferry route based on the service at the end of May. One boat was out of service and they were cancelling several sailings. If they cancel you are on your own. That said I cant see them cancelling the first service of the day.

Secondly Shenzhen airport has an express bus direct from the Port Plaza at Gonbei in Zhuhai. It is no more than 200 meters from the China border on the basement level. It takes about 2 hours direct to the airport.

travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/guangdong/sh…

It is also listed somewhere on the Shenzhen Airport website, but that site's navigation in the English version is a bit impenetrable.

I live in Macau mostly. I would advise on the Ferry. But you have an alternative especially if there is a Typhoon in town.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 07:59
London, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Macau to Shenzhen airport

Thanks very much Carbine...very kind of you esp with the recent typhoons wreaking havoc around southern China and reports of more around!

though im looking forward to seeing Macau again since my quick visit in 1997! Now hopefully im will see a lot more in 2 days esp being mentally a lot more travel smart since back then!

sounds great that youre able to live there!

yep thanks Zhuhai, the whole reason for going from Xian to Shenzhen to HK to Macau and back up to central China is because my student visa expires but i would like a few more months back in China....with a valid visa which tourist visa is about the best way to do it at this stage

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Macau to Shenzhen airport

Note that if a typhoon approaches where they stop ferry service, it's likely that they will close the airport runways and ground transportation may be affected as well. So you may or may not have an alternative route to Shenzhen airport. And when you get there your flight may have been cancelled too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Macau to Shenzhen airport

lol thanks Happy Feet...thanks for pointing that out lol...but I think generally best bet still to head for the airport to at least see when the plane might go when the typhoon is over , if the airport hasnt been blown away...from my experience flights generally get postponed rather than cancelled but i guess i would have to wait and see.

Carbine do you think the evening ferry services are as reliable - im trying to see with the friends im teeing up with in central china if arriving at 2325 from the 8pm plane from shenzhen is okay...though its a shame to miss the scenery from a flight covering that area by flying in the dark..to weigh up whether time in Macau or check out the views from above China lol

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
295 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Macau to Shenzhen airport

Yes if it a real T at 8+ things are going to cancelled. But if it is T1 orT3 with danger of it hoisting higher then best get to airport - and the bus is more reliable and less vomit inducing LOL Many of the T1 and 3's produce windy weather no worst than a normal June day in Brighton (I'm assuming you are a Brit).

As for the late flight. If the air is clear enough to see anything - which is a rarity - then the night view of The PRD is at least as good as the daytime view. As for the late ferry all I can say is once bitten twice shy. On June 1 they were cancelling many sailings including the last one. Never experienced this before - but the Ferry to SZ is run by a Chinese company even though it appears as Turbojet online. It is not the same Skypier system as HKIA where if you missed the flight due to problems the airline is likely to rebook you. Also despite the claimed sailing times I have yet to beat 80 minutes.

As for Macau you will find no resemblance to 1997 other than in parts of the old town. And if you like Chinese culture give Cotai a wide swerve. Think Vegas without the Charm!!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Macau to Shenzhen airport

thanks again Carbine - do you have any particular places that youd recommend to stay? such as the Pousada de Mong Ha if they still have rooms available?

We here in xian think clear air here is rarity but its been clear all this week, same last aug and sept...fingers crossed for a good view down to SZ and then maybe a night trip back will be fine for a bit more time in Macau.

When i was there in 1997 i was there as a NZ-Aussie.

Now Im here having been in the Uk for 12 years...so a mix but yeah i know what you about a bit of wind in Brighton!