We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusion over Skypier (HKIA) to Macau

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Confusion over Skypier (HKIA) to Macau

Hi, I hope I can get some help on the above as I'm getting more and more confused.

4 of us will be departing for HK on 31st July 2008. 3 of them will be boarding CX to fly to HK whilst I will be on SQ. All flights are departing out of Singapore and all of us are to arrive in HKIA at 12:15pm. Upon arrival, we are to take a ferry to Macau to spend 2 nights before returning to HK for another 3 nights holiday. I know that there's a 2pm ferry sailing from HKIA (Skypier) to Macau.

What I'm very confused is: I've read that we DO NOT pass immigration and head straight to the Skypier to purchase our ferry tickets to Macau and thereafter, we board a bus (?) to the pier to get on board the Ferry. In between this, what happens to our luggages?? If they are going to pick it up and load it onto the Ferry, do we need to inform CX/SQ that we're actually catching a ferry to Macau?

I had this impression that we were to pick up our bags and clear customs and then go out to buy the tickets (because I assumed that the ticket office is OUTSIDE of the arrival hall). If we clear immigration - does that mean we can't go back again to Skypier to buy tickets?

Hope someone can assist me on this. Thanks in advance.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confusion over Skypier (HKIA) to Macau

Ohh i forgot one more thing, has anyone ever lost their luggage b4 doing the Skypier-Macau? I've had bad experiences with lost luggages while transferring flights so I'd rather not have this repeated :(

USA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Confusion over Skypier (HKIA) to Macau

Just get off the plane and head to the ferry ticket desk (before immigrations). After ticket purchase go downstairs to wait then board bus to ferry. While at ferry desk you will give them your airline luggage tag and they will pullbags out of the plane and load bags on your ticketed ferry departure. Upon arrival at Macau your bags will be there. Just make sure that ferry desk note correctly how many bags you have on the ferry ticket stub.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,003 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confusion over Skypier (HKIA) to Macau

Yes your information is correct. You do not go through immigration but they send somebody to collect your bags. Of course it is all a lot easier if you don't have checked luggage but assuming your flight is on time, 1:45 is plenty of time to transfer. BTW the "Skypier" is the name of the wharf. You buy your tickets at the ferry ticket counter, then board the bus to go around the perimeter of the airport to the Skypier, where you board the ferry.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confusion over Skypier (HKIA) to Macau

I personally have never lost bags on this service, and I don't know anyone who has (which shows it's unlikely, but not impossible).

The waiting area for the connecting bus is quite boring - after you've passed their security check and got down there the first time you can then head out to the airside shopping mall area again; just make sure you return to the boarding gate at least 45 minutes before your ferry is due to depart.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confusion over Skypier (HKIA) to Macau

Here's the diagram from the Ferry website:

turbojetseaexpress.com.hk/eng/…passenger.html

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confusion over Skypier (HKIA) to Macau

Since I won't haven any HK$ when I arrive, are there any ATMs or currency exchangers around the deplaning gates and/or the ferry ticket desk?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confusion over Skypier (HKIA) to Macau

It might be advisable to have some currency changed to HK$ before you leave home - it's a freely tradeable currency, so this is no problem.

Turbojet also accepts Master and Visa cards.

8. Re: Confusion over Skypier (HKIA) to Macau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Macau
Recent Conversations