We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can you use pataca in hogkong and v.v.?

Manila
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
can you use pataca in hogkong and v.v.?

i will be staying in macau and plan to have a day trip in hongkong. can i use MOP in hongkong? i heard that hkd can be used it macau.. is it an advantage or not?

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can you use pataca in hogkong and v.v.?

can i use MOP in hongkong?

The answer is NO, you can hardly find any money changer accepting patacas in HK.

Manila
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: can you use pataca in hogkong and v.v.?

alright.. thanks!!! :-)

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can you use pataca in hogkong and v.v.?

Keep in mind that Hongkong dollars is widely accepted in Macau, but it would be difficult to change Macau patacas in Hongkong, and also in the Philippines! So make sure to change just enough patacas for your stay in Macau. If you have some left, change it back to US dollars (if that's your main travel currency) or to Philippine pesos or Hongkong dollars.

FYI, there are shops in Macau that accepts US dollars at a very good rate - though they accept bills less than US$100 only. The Giordano and Bossini stores, specially those in Senado square accepts US dollars and gives you change in Patacas. So no need to change to the local currency if you plan to shop in those stores.

Manila
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: can you use pataca in hogkong and v.v.?

thanks impulsetraveller! btw i posted another question re: hongkong disneyland (in that forum). we finally decided on going there.. was just wondering how did you get the buffet dinner with the characters..i mean do we need to have reservations...

also i posted another question in a different forum regarding taxes going back to the philippines..do we need to pay anything at the airport like taxes or boarding pass? we already have our tickets.. we'll fly via tiger airways from macau.

Manila
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: can you use pataca in hogkong and v.v.?

btw, where is it best to have USD changed to MOP? are hotel rates ok?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can you use pataca in hogkong and v.v.?

Hi again! I might have confused you, there are no buffet dinners with Disney characters. The "mascots" usually pop up for photo ops in the Disney Hollywood Hotel lobby, and in both times that we were there before and after dinner, we get the chance to have pictures taken with them. I might have confused you with the buffet with desserts in familiar Disney characters - as in Tiramisu or creme brulee in mickey shaped ceramics. :p

Its been a habit for me to bring US dollars when travelling. DON'T CHANGE THEM TO PATACAS AT THE HOTELS as they give a really low rate. You can change some at the banks there in Macau, if you are arriving on a weekday, or at the airport once you arrive.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can you use pataca in hogkong and v.v.?

As for the taxes question, I'm not sure if you need to since I haven't flown with Tiger and if it is not yet included with your ticket.

Manila
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: can you use pataca in hogkong and v.v.?

i see..thanks for the tips! :-) we'll do that!

Get answers to your questions about Macau
Recent Conversations