We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ritigala Monastery

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Ritigala Monastery

Our family is doing the cultural triangle and have included Ritigala in our itinerary.

I have heard that Ritigala is a fairly strenuous walk.

How accurate is that?

How long does it take to get to the ruins, and how steep are the steps? How many of them?

Would my mother who is a fairly fit and active lady, but in her 70's - does a fair bit of walking etc.- be able to copewith the walk?

Or would you advise we leave her at the hotel for the morning?

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ritigala Monastery

Hi,

I'd certainly not leave her at the hotel for the morning. Even if she got to a section that she thought was dificult, I still reckon she'd enjoy being there even if she sat down at the bottom of the walk , near thwe ticket ofrfice and just enjoyed the woods and the birdsongs.

Actually, most of the walk isn't strenuous at all. It's on a sloping path built with stone blocks and not too steep.

The only part she may have dificulty is the section near the bottom where the path has collapsed. It was once built of huge granite blocks which can be seen laying around but now the walk through that bit can be uneven but I don't class it as being too dificult. You'll probably find that she'd cope well, maybe needing a hand on just one or two places that require a big step upward.

If it was me someone was considering leaving back at base, I'd be jumping. I'd at least want the chance to have a go and settle for sitting down and enjoying the woodlands if I found it too dificult but I reckon she'd cope.

Rod.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ritigala Monastery

Thank you Rod.

I am really relieved to read your message.

One of the tourist companies had suggested that it would be far too strenuous. (They have not seen my mother). She will have 4 of her children to help her along anyway.

Thanks again

Lesley

leeds
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ritigala Monastery

It's to be recommended, atmospheric and not threatening. However, she would have to be a super fit 70-something to make it to the top. The stairs are not remotely as steep as Yapahuwa, which must unsettle many a tourist especially on the way down, but it is a climb nevertheless. There are several stages where she could rest and if she is resilient as you suggest she is unlikely to feel uncomfortable.

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ritigala Monastery

Agree with all, I'd say Ritigala is one of the least strenuous sites, largely because it is not that big and so no lengthy climbs. Easier than Sigiriya certainly and last year I met an 80+ year old with a triple heart by-pass who had been up there in the morning and then did Dambulla in the afternoon! Also Ritigala is a quiet and tranquil place with fewer visitors than other cultural sites - well worth seeing, I'd say.

Go for it!

David.

5. Re: Ritigala Monastery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2012, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Habarana