We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 2013

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
August 2013

Hi

We originally planned to visit Habarana staying at the Cinnamon Lodge for 3 whole days. However the flights out mean that we will be arriving 19th August at 13:35 and by the time we arrive at the hotel it will probably be the evening. We have the 20th and 21st but we will leave on the 22nd (hopefully in the afternoon, giving us the morning). Our main priority is to see wild elephants (and also have the opportunity to ride on them or wash them as I have seen in some posts, as long as it does not cause them any hard or distress). We would also like to see a tea plantation and as we are in the cultural triangle, we would like to visit Sigiriya (where I would like to see the from the top if possible) and visit other cultural areas.

Can someone tell me what will be possible - I know we will have to make concessions but the elephants are a must and we would like to know what is possible in the time we have.

Thanks

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: August 2013

Thank you all for your contributions, too many choice now in such a small amount of time!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: August 2013

Hi! I am doing a similar trip 1st week of August. I live in Colombo and I also did "the gathering" last year. It is well worth it. I stayed at Cinnamon Lodge last year and will again this year after finding a great deal online. It is a really beautiful hotel. Save yourself a bundle by booking your safari with a jeep on the road in front of the hotel instead of with the hotel agent. We didn't ride an elephant last year but will definitely do it this year.

I wouldn't recommend trying to squeeze too many destinations in because the roads are horrific here. They are well paved well but only 2 lanes and high traffic. don't expect to exceed an average speed of 35km/hr. so 100 Km takes about 3 hours. The tea country is amazing but that is a trip in itself given steep 2 lane roads.

I would recommend:

19th August at 13:35 flight arrives - drive to Habarana drive 5hrs(185km) Arrive Habarana around 8pm.

20th am elephant ride, afternoon Minneriya safari (they seem to only let you go in the afternoon)

21st Sigiriya

22nd drive back to Colombo after breakfast stopping at Dambulla Cave temples, arrive Colombo early evening 5hrs(185km). (Or you could go back to Colombo via Kandy (8hrs), stopping at a plantation and arrive very late at night in Colombo).

I think this is action packed enough skipping Kandy. Kandy may be overdoing it with hours in the car.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: August 2013

Wow, thank you transientduchess for the comprehensive reply, will certainly look at this in detail and see what we can do in the time but elephants are a must. Where can wego for the elephanmt ride and thanks for the tip on the driver outside our hotel.

14. Re: August 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Habarana