We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Kos

Izegem, Belgium
Level Contributor
840 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
First time Kos

This is the first time that we are planning to Kos.

We have been to Corfu, Rhodes and the north, east, and south of Crete.

Can anyone tell me what is so different in Kos.

What should we see ?

Should we rent a car?

Thank You

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Kos

Kos Town has a Knight's Castle too, but only the walls and some fortifications survive, nothing like the Palace of Great Master in Rhodes or something. There are various ancient ruins around the town, some mosques too. A small but pleasant archeological museum. A new modern marina and a pleasant harbour (many boat trips to near-by islands and Bordrum in Turkey start from the harbour). Avery interesting ancient site, Asclipion, about 4klms away from town. A fortification with great views a few klms away from Antimahia. A few mountain villages Zia been the most popular because of the views. Pleasant smaller sea-side villages all around the island. Nice sandy beaches all around. A natural hot spring in the sea after Agios Fokas, on Thermes area. Far too many huge AI resorts (the same applies to Rhodes I guess) all around the island, but especially in Lampi and Psalidi areas. Too built up there for my taste, but this is a personal thing... A car is a must for a few days on my opinion, although you can use the bus to reach many places on the island, Happy Trains on some routes too.

Other people are more familiar to Kos than me, just some pointers.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Kos

Here is to give you an idea:

Archeological sites and museum

http://tinyurl.com/crxhs2

Kos Town

http://tinyurl.com/l3sf8r

Around the island

http://tinyurl.com/kl9qnj

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Kos

Hi Roeland

I think the biggest difference on Kos, is that it is a very flat island, other than the low mountains to the norttheast of the island. There are many kms of cycle tracks you can use - we have cycled from Kos Town to Tigaki and back, the route is flat but still quite hard work on a hot day.

Kos is a small island - you can drive from one end to the other in an hour, so wherever you decide to stay, you won't be far from the sights on the island. If you rent a car, you would be able to see the main sights easily in three days..

Kos Town and all it's sights

The Asklepion

Platani Turkish village

The Asfendiou villages

Embros Thermae hot springs

The old castle at Andimahia

"Kastri" island near Agios Stefanos

Ruins of old Astypalea - these are down on the far southern peninsula and are quite hard to find, but well worth it if you like history

In my opinion, unless you want to spend lots of days just sunbathing on the beach, then Kos is a place to go for one week

Edited: 30 May 2011, 12:10
Kluizen, Belgium
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Kos

Hi, I could write in Dutch cause you are also from belgium I see, but I will do it in english.

You made a good choice by taking Kos....

I love the island. I worked there and it's beautiful there.

I can give you the advice to rent a car for a few days and go to places that are not famous for tourists...

Paleo Pyli is nice, but I will recommand you Limnionas, it's a small bay... very beautiful and relaxed there. And if you like fish... there's a good restaurant there. The only one.

You can visite my website if you like to see more... www.kos-island.be

I also have a guestbook.

grts, Isabel

Cairo
Level Contributor
575 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Kos

Hi Roeland

Kos is a good choice, a lot smller than Crete and not as green and lush as Corfu. Being that more south-west the weather is hotter than Corfu and drier - no rainy days until mid-September. A car is not essential as the island has a quite a good bus netowrk but if you want to be more mobile and to visit the more remote corner then I would recommend hiring a car for 3-4 days. The south of the island is very interesting but is overlooked by a lot of visitors - the fishing harbour of Limnionas and the area beyond Kefalos, especially the ancient ruins of Astypalea near the most southern tip of the island. The castle at Antimachia (fantastic views) and the Plaka are both well worth visiting. Off the beaten track there is the Dikeos mountain roads out past Zia through to the picnic grounds of Sainta Marina and carrying on past small farming communities you eventually come out by the Therma Springs however a 4x4 is a must as the roads are bumpy! Care must be taken. Old Pyli is also well worth a visit, however most of the castle is in ruins and we are not certain if it is open this summer due to restoration works. Hiring a car allows you get out and about at your leisure and best of all to those more remote places off the main tourist route. The area to the south of Mastihari is also nice to explore for the more adventurous traveller but again a 4x4 is recommended.

Happy Holilday in Kos - even wiothout a car there is plenty to explore and see.

Cleo

Kos
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time Kos

I would definately say rent a car, so you can go the length and breath of the island and see absolutely everything...Check out kos-explorer.com this gives you all the information you are likely to need.

Happy Holidays, you have made a good choice.

Kos Town, Greece
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time Kos

the website to check out is http://www.kosexplorer.com have a great holiday

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time Kos

Hi there, neighbour!

Got some reading material for you!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189444-i437-k3019…

Kluizen, Belgium
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First time Kos

nog een belg hier.... leuk!!!!!!

nice report that you gave of Kos... I guess you liked it...

greets, Isabel

kent
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time Kos

Isabelle!!

Your site is very good, and in the case of Mastihari, accurate and informative.

The pics certainly depict a true image of the village. Incidentally, the pic on the link to accommodation was taken by my wife some 5 years ago whilst languishing on the beach.It is of Panorama apartments and the then Tasty Palace taverna, now Paliatano. This pic turns up on all sorts of sites, and if it helps to promote the village we are all for it!

Get answers to your questions about Kos Town
Recent Conversations