We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nyssiros Volcano, about safety.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Nyssiros Volcano, about safety.

We just returned from a trip to Kos and we utterly enjoyed it! We will defenitly go back.

Just something happened that worries me. We went for a day trip to Nyssiros. It just have been raining and when arriving at the caldera of the volcano there was water in it. You could see it boiling in the middle. Also a lot of steam and gasses was coming out of several holes.

A man in our group stepped on a place of the crust that was very thin apparently and went through with his right foot. His foot was burned severly with 2nd degree burns.

I wonder if this happened before and question the safety of entering the caldera.

Can anyone tell me more?

Thanks in advance, Dora.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nyssiros Volcano, about safety.

Hello Dora

Did the man who burnt his foot wander off from the group or was he with everyone else when the accident happened? Thousands of people visit the caldera each week on boat trips from other islands and I have to say that I haven't heard of any mishaps like this.

Edited: 28 October 2012, 09:33
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nyssiros Volcano, about safety.

Well I didn't see the actual think happen. I stayed above since they told me that people who have difficulties walking better not go down. I have bursitis in my hip that makes it painfull for me to walk distances over 100m.

But I spoke to him when he came above and he said he was following other people who walked over the same track as he did. Could be that the crust was vulnerable and already instable by the people that walked over it before him. Than it was just his bad luck.

Could also be that the rain made the crust softer. If that is the case than perhaps the caldera should be closed during and shortly after rain.

I wonder if someone is monitoring the condition of the crust.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nyssiros Volcano, about safety.

It is many years since I visited Nissyros (20 years), but I was cautioned not to enter the crater crust. I did it anyway - it was like walking on soft powder, and there were lots of holes where you could literally see the hot air coming up. I stayed long enough to take some photos, but when returning it was emphasised that I did this on my own risk and it is recommended not to enter.

http://tinyurl.com/ceyueu

Edited: 28 October 2012, 11:07
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nyssiros Volcano, about safety.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures with us. It is Nyssiros as I remember it.

Except while we were there there was water in the caldera and it is common practice to go down in the crater. About everybody went down. So did my husband and he made pictures quite similar to yours. He also made some films where you can see the water boiling in the holes, so just below the crust the temperature is really high, above 100dC. And apparently the crust is quite thin.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nyssiros Volcano, about safety.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/vv/6891/

Here you can see a video of the holes in the volcano with boiling water in it. Also you can see people walking between them. Our guide warned us not to get to close to the center of the caldera, but as you can see not very many are following up her advice.

I will post another video.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nyssiros Volcano, about safety.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/vv/6890/

Second video.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nyssiros Volcano, about safety.

Great videos. Terrifying experience !

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nyssiros Volcano, about safety.

Over the last 15 years I have visited the volcano twice and son has also visited a couple of times, more recently. We were warned on our first trip not to go near the holes or wet parts and I did feel that the volcano floor felt thick and quite safe even with the dozens of steam vents but according to our son on his last visit it had deteriorated and there were more puddles and some areas were fenced off since our first visit.

Nissyros is an interesting island and I would visit again but would probably not the volcano floor.

9. Re: Nyssiros Volcano, about safety.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Kos Town
Recent Conversations