We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kos airport

Tinley Park, IL
Level Contributor
138 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Kos airport

Hi..will be flying to Kos to ferry to Kalymnos to stay with family in July, 2013. I've been reading the nightmares of the airport and I haven't booked my flights yet. Our thought is to take the 7:10pm flight from Athens on a Saturday night; 8:05 arrival on Kos, and then ferry to Kalymnos. Return is either 8:30pm flight on Sunday night to Athens or take the 6:45am flight Monday morning back to Athens.

These flights are on Olympic.

Any thoughts on if we should expect that 7:10 flight to be ok Saturday night? Are we better to take the 8:30pm Sunday night flight or 6:45am flight to avoid delays?

We plan to spend the Monday(our only day) seeing some of the sites in Athens so getting there without delay is key!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kos airport

I don't think Kos is any worse than most other airports, certainly better than some. As a domestic traveller, you will be immune from the main problem, that of large queues for the check-in etc. So I don't think you will have any problems. Presumably you have already checked that the ferry times fit in.

Definitely get the Sunday night flight back to Athens so you have a bit of contingency time built in.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kos airport

The horror stories you've been reading are mainly by European charter flight passengers - Kos gets a lot of charter flights in the summer. Apart from the sheer volume of holidaymakers per aircraft to be checked in, charter airlines run very tightly timed schedules and it occasionally results in some dreadful delays and mayhem - it is not necessarily the airport's fault. However, domestic flights in the summer can be delayed as well, but not that much as the charter ones.

Edited: 06 February 2013, 08:39
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kos airport

Hi there

I have to agree with Steve, Kos is no better or worse than most other Greek island airports. Obviously, no one can possibly predict what might or might not happen to any specific flight, whether it'll be on schedule or not, but I too would definitely recommend that you return to Athens on the Sunday rather than the Monday morning.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kos airport

there is no one who can confirm a flight or not.

A change, a delay or a cancellation of a flight can happened due to a fault of a the flight company or airport faults or even due to the weather conditions.

As your flight will be with Olympic air, you will not have a problem at the check in, on that time Olympic air has only this flight, so you will check in very quick.

staying one extra night in Athens is recommend but a not something that you must to do, only to secure your return flight IF something will happened.

merseyside
Destination Expert
for Kalymnos
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kos airport

Hi

I fly to Kos every year and have been doing for a very long time. Dont worry its fine. Yes the airport can be busy in the summer and sometimes you have to queue outside in the heat because of the amount of travellers and the inside of the airport is not that big, but it doesnt put me off.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kos airport

Kos airport has always been fine but last july they halfed the inside of the airport a big half for european flights other small half all uk flights european side was half empty uk side was fit to bursting never seen it like that befor then a few delays it just got worse it was ramed maybe they might change this year as to one big area for all

Tinley Park, IL
Level Contributor
138 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kos airport

I understand that delays cannot be predicted, but I appreciate the information that I was looking for. We have booked the flights as planned! Now have to hope that the ferry to Kalymnos will be available after the flight to Kos! As always, thank you for your time! !

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kos airport

lets hope they change the format it was crap when everyone had free range its to small for the mass of travellers they have got to address this.?

London
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kos airport

Kos airport must be the WORST I have ever experienced and until it improves I will NEVER go back. It's queue, queue and queue and queue again. Two flights going out within 20 minutes of each other and it was hell on earth.

So claustrophobic with no where to sit and so many queues that everyone wondered if they were in the right one. People arriving 30 minutes after us somehow managed to end up in the queue BEFORE us due to no-one manning the queuing correctly. Thomsons said it was always like that during the summer and nothing could be done. Well I suggest they threaten to remove Kos from their holiday destinations and then something may get done.

The stench from the toilets after security was revolting and I'm sure the whole place needs a few health and safety risk assessments done on it.

Santorini, Corfu, Mykanos are far better airports so I'll be returning there instead of Kos.

Tinley Park, IL
Level Contributor
138 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kos airport

Well a couple months ago, 2 weeks after my dad passed away, I got the dreaded email that Olympic cancelled our Saturday connection to Kos from Athens. Fortunately Expedia stepped up where Olympic would not and put us up at the Sofitel the evening that we land and got us booked on the first flight at 530am Sunday morning.

I'm praying that our experience will be a bit less dramatic than this last post when we leave Kos after our holiday, back to Athens on Olympic.

I have to add that the customer service at Olympic was less than cordial or understanding when they cancelled our flight and gave us no options except the 530am flight on the day we arrive in Athens--at 430PM! Once i got to Expedia it took a 3 hour phone call and 4 representatives but their guest relations finally really took care of us.

We're not on a charter and hoping that will help us on Kos this coming July

Get answers to your questions about Kos Town
Recent Conversations