We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secret Picnic Spot with Peacocks

Which Kos Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Secret Picnic Spot with Peacocks

Hi,

We will returning back to Kos after 10 years. When we were last there in 2003, the lady who I hired my jeep from told me about a secret (or possibly not so much of a secret) picnic spot which can be found by going down a small dirt road near the airport.

We found that road and followed it for a mile or 2. It took us to a forested picnic area with static BBQ pits, seating area etc. But what was amazing about this place was that there were literally hundreds of peacocks from chicks to adults.

Does anyone know where I am talking about. Is this place still accessible and are the peacocks still there.

Wish I could attach a photo or two of the place.

many thanks

wisbech
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secret Picnic Spot with Peacocks

I am going to kos, for 1st time in july, and I have been looking at different places to go, and I came across this.

kosnaturalpark.gr

it has peacocks there, sounds like might be the place, but if not still looks like a good place to visit

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secret Picnic Spot with Peacocks

Hi Jan,

Sadly that is not the place though it will be going down on our list of places to visit.

The attraction is not just peacocks (even though I have never seen so many in one place. Even in India). It's the location. It was in a forest, very quite and serene with tables and BBQ area for you to cook up a meal.

Thank you anyway.

wisbech
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secret Picnic Spot with Peacocks

hi raz

think I have found it. from airport head to kefalos, turn right at small church, its called, plaka forest.

when do you go and where you staying. we are in lambi, at alice springs, going on 10th july, cant wait, lol

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secret Picnic Spot with Peacocks

Hi Jan,

Thats the place. I just Googled Plaka and it bought up a picture of the peacocks.

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/27569092

We will be there from 22/06 to 29/06. We are staying at the same hotel as when we were there in 2003, Hotel Atlantis in Kos Town.

Don't pass up the chance to go to the volcanic island of Nisyros. It's well worth it.

Many thanks

Raz

wisbech
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secret Picnic Spot with Peacocks

hi raz

hope you have a great holiday, sure you will. tell us all about it, and yes I intend to visit nisyros. it sounds great.

many thanks

jan

Kent
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secret Picnic Spot with Peacocks

It is Plaka you are asking about and you should see the sign for it on the right hand side off the main road just past the airport.

kent
Level Contributor
440 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secret Picnic Spot with Peacocks

Yep that's Plaka........I'll get there one day the last time I tried the military turned us back!

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secret Picnic Spot with Peacocks

yes they use that area sometimes for exercises there are feral cats also down there and a small pond with turtles in it

Maidstone
Level Contributor
341 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secret Picnic Spot with Peacocks

I've never been to Kos before & am looking forward to our holiday in Tigaki in September. Is the forest, Plaka, easy to find from Tigaki? I've read several mentions of it on here & it sounds wonderful!

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secret Picnic Spot with Peacocks

It's a bit of a rough track down to Plaka from the main road and if you keep following the track you will come back out on the main road. Don't park at the first area, continue around the bend until you're in the main part. You can't miss it - peacocks, cats everywhere, last year there were loads of peachicks(?) around as well. It's nice and cool in the forest. As said previously the army do use it for exercises but this is mainly out of the main season and off the main tracks

Get answers to your questions about Kos Town