We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Zurich Airport via Bernina Pass Train

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Venice to Zurich Airport via Bernina Pass Train

We will be staying in Venice for two nights 5/2 and 5/3/2014 which will end our two weeks in Italy. Our flight home is from Zurich on 5/6/2014. If we leave Venice the morning of 5/4 how long and which trains do we need to take to get to Zurich by traveling on the Bernina Pass train. Is it an Express? I am confused by some of the posts I have seen that say to go to Milan. Isn't there a direct train from Venice to Tirano? Approximately how long (Venice to Zurich) would the entire trip take? Thanks for any advice you can give to help.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Zurich Airport via Bernina Pass Train

Hi, no there isn't a direct train from Venice to Tirano you have to change at Milano Centrale but it's a very long journey so if you really want to do the Bernina Express trip it would be better to stop off for the night in Pontresina or St Moritz.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Zurich Airport via Bernina Pass Train

Sorry forgot to post the link to the Swiss train website which gives you the various times and connections.

www.sbb.ch

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Zurich Airport via Bernina Pass Train

From what I have read, if I understand it correctly, the Bernina Pass Express from Tirano is much better than going from Milan. I didn't know you could do the Bernina Pass Express from both cities. Maybe after I view the link you sent it will be clearer. Thank you very much for your time.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Zurich Airport via Bernina Pass Train

The website is not in English so I will have to find it elsewhere. Thanks anyway.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,531 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Zurich Airport via Bernina Pass Train

The website you were sent is most certainly in English if you click 'en' at the top - this converts it to http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html Insert 'via Tirano' on the website, and click 'show all details' once you have the train times to see the routes.

There is no sensible way to access Tirano entirely by train from Venice except with a change in Milan. However the sbb website does give a couple of options which include a bus journey between Edolo and Tirano thereby avoiding Milan. This is a shorter distance route, but little or no shorter in time.

Sbb will not sell you print-at-home tiickets for these journeys, only from Tirano to Zurich.

And note that Venice to Zurich by the normal train route takes half the time and has only one change of train - the Bernina route is strictly for tourists, and very hard work to do in only one day..

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Zurich
Zurich
Bernina
Bernina
229 Reviews
Tirano, Italy
Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Zurich Airport via Bernina Pass Train

Thank you so much! I have been trying to figure out travel time from Venice to St.Moritz to see if 1) we need to change trains after we board the Bernina Express, or if we can stay on it to St. Moritz where we would stay overnight. And what time we would arrive in St. Moritz if we leave Venice at 8:32 AM and Milano at between 10 and 11:00 AM. Then how do we get to Zurich from St. Moritz. I have tried to build the trip by selecting our itinerary and trains but cannot complete it because it may be too soon. I have spoken with Rail Europe and still am confused. Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Zurich
Zurich
adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Zurich Airport via Bernina Pass Train

instead of staying in St Moritz wouldn't it be better to stay on the Bernina Express to Chur and go from there to Zurich

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Zurich Airport via Bernina Pass Train

Thank you so much! I have been trying to figure out travel time from Venice to St.Moritz to see if 1) we need to change trains after we board the Bernina Express, or if we can stay on it to St. Moritz where we would stay overnight. And 2) what time we would arrive in St. Moritz if we leave Venice at 8:32 AM and Milano at between 10 and 11:00 AM. Then how do we get to Zurich from St. Moritz. I have tried to build the trip by selecting our itinerary and trains but cannot complete it because it may be too soon. I have spoken with Rail Europe and still am confused. Or is it better to stay in Chur? Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Zurich
Zurich
Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice to Zurich Airport via Bernina Pass Train

After researching further, I found that the Bernina Express does not stop in St. Moritz so decided to stay overnight in Tirano and take BE to Chur the next morning and another train from Chur to Zurich. This has been very complicated. So much easier to get around in the States by car. We are not used to traveling by train, but.have made some amazing train trips in Colorado and Alaska. The Bernina Pass will be amazing if I can ever get this together! Thanks again for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice to Zurich Airport via Bernina Pass Train

Doing this same trip in October.. And like you trying to link it all..

Would love to hear how you went re what train from Chur to Zurich and do you have to get off

and swap in Zurich. Also we can afford time in Chur or Tirano for 2days would love to hear your

thoughts on which town more to see in.

Enjoy your trip

Karen QLD

Australia

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich