We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expats in Stoupa

Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Expats in Stoupa

Is Stoupa just a holiday destination for the Brits (and other Europeans), or are there many expats who live in Stoupa (or surrounds) all year round?

Mentioned in this post
Stoupa
Stoupa
Messenia Region, Greece
9 replies to this topic
Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
596 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expats in Stoupa

Yes, Scooser there are quite a few.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expats in Stoupa

Hi . Does anyone have any experience of taking a small travel guitar as hand luggage when flying to Greece? I have taken a ukulele without any problems. Have often seen people with full size guitars at the airport, in departure lounge so presumably, they are taken aboard. Travelling to Stoupa next month .Would appreciate any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Stoupa
Stoupa
Messenia Region, Greece
Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expats in Stoupa

Hi Christine

My guitar travels as hold luggage in a hard case , to take it as cabin you'd have to get a seat ticket for it these days the exception is you are allowed to on American airliners which have bigger overhead lockers.

Full sized guitar that is , my mandolin travels as hand luggage.

Edited: 18 May 2018, 00:50
Kalamata, Greece
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Expats in Stoupa

In answer to the opening question there are quite a number of non Greek citizens living in Mani and the surrounding areas. To my knowledge there are people from UK, Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Scandinavia and an increasing number of people from the USA...no doubt there are more.

Mentioned in this post
Cadiz, Spain
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Expats in Stoupa

I suppose most are retired? Finding work there can't be easy.

Or people who can work from anywhere or have a private income.

Kalamata, Greece
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Expats in Stoupa

This seems to be the case, securing employment is difficult for Greek locals never mind elderly immigrants!!!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expats in Stoupa

Thanks for that . Just realised I posted this on someone else's posting. Sorry!. I was going to take a chance of the airline letting me take my guitar as my hand luggage as it is a travel size but still bigger than a mandolin. Will think about it going in the hold now. Thanks again

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Expats in Stoupa

Actually the answer to the original question is probably Yes, Stoupa is really a holiday destination as most of the ExPats do not tend to live in Stoupa. As already stated there are many nationalities and varying types from those who live there on a more permanent basis, those with holiday homes and in recent years more taking up longer term rental accommodation.

Yes Stoupa is often frequented by the ExPats for the beaches, drink or meal during the season but a large number tend to use Agios Nikolaos as it is all year a working and thriving village even during the winter months. Out of season Stoupa is relatively quiet with fewer places open in comparison to Agios Nikolaos.

Mentioned in this post
Stoupa
Stoupa
Messenia Region, Greece
Agios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos
Crete, Greece
Radcliffe, United...
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expats in Stoupa

The owner of Pefko told me that many of the British expats have deliveries of goods that are hard to get in Greece a couple of times a year, as there is a chap who drives his van/truck from the UK. He also gets his baked beans off him.

I think a few of the expat population live up around Neochori

Mentioned in this post
Pefko
Pefko
342 Reviews
Lipsi, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Reply to: Expats in Stoupa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stoupa