We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
77 reviews
Fish

A few years ago we paid €60 just for the fish, the whole meal was around 90/100€ in one of the taverners further down the coast from Stoupa, it was delicious but I don’t want to pay that every time I fancy fish. What worries me is the reasturants mostly quote the price per kilo and that’s what stumps me, together with the fact that it’s weighed with it’s head and tail on. I like white fish so my question is do any of you know approximately how much a medium size white fish with salad would cost in Stoupa and which reasturants sell the freshest. I’m also not keen on be taken into the kitchen and told to choose because then I feel pressured into choosing the expensive one because they’ve gone to all that trouble. (Maybe I should stick to the meat !)

8 replies to this topic
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
232 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Fish

Hi Jean,

We always go for the Sea Bas or Sea Bream at Liastres....It's not fresh. But its very good. With salad it cost about 15 euro last year. The sardines are also very good they come on there own deboned for about 12 euro, sides are extra.

Hope this helps.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: Fish

You should not feel pressured when you go to choose your fish, it is the normal Greek way of doing things. Have the fish weighed and if it is too expensive just say so and they will offer you something smaller or less pricey. It’s what a Greek person would do and what the taverna will expect so there’s absolutely no reason to feel uncomfortable.. However if they **make** you feel uncomfortable (rather than just you feeling it) then they are a rip off so go elsewhere - but I strongly suspect the issue is simply your British reticence :-)

Coventry, England...
Level Contributor
274 posts
88 reviews
3. Re: Fish

I usually have the sea bream/bass or sardines at either Avli 'tis Theanos or Akrogiali. They are usually about €10 and you can have it whole or filleted. Nothing better

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
153 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Fish

Sea Bream and Sea Bass are 13 to 15 Euro on most menus in Stoupa. Some frozen some fresh, all cooked to perfection at 3 different restaurants. Price includes chips and some salad usually, no need to buy by the kilo.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Fish

I've had Sea Bass at the Riviera restaurant (see photo on restaurant review page) as you will see there wasn't much room left on the plate for the salad and chips. It tasted as good as it looked and was a set price of around 14 euro I think.

Aberdare
Level Contributor
193 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Fish

I agree with all other posts ,all taverners mentioned service lovely fish . Cafe Mango taverner and Elaia cafe are my favourites fish . Sardines in Avli are to die for . The taverner you mentioned down the coast. Could have been the taverner at Limmeni . Had a lovely fish there and huge prawns but it is expensive but delicious. The other place we found very expensive was the fish taverner,s at Porto Kato a lovely experience but once only for us and a long drive, when you can get a lovely fish in Stoupa or Ak Nig for a quarter of the price. Most of the taverner,s will fillet a fish if you ask. Have a lovely time eating fish in Stoupa. Not long now for us to do the same. 63 more sleeps. 👍😎🦐🐠🐟🐑🐑🐑

Shrewsbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canary Islands
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
669 reviews
7. Re: Fish

I would definitely not buy fish by weight, there are plenty of set price options in the restaurants in Stoupa.

One of my favourites is the swordfish steak at Akrogiali.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
8. Re: Fish

Elli's in Agios Nikalaos sell what they have caught that day on their own fishing boat, we had Amberjack it's a large fish so is sold as a steak I think it was around 12 euros (2 years ago) definitely one of the best meals of the holiday for us.

Reply to: Fish
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stoupa
Recent Conversations