We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes for a hot climate

Which Stoupa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Clothes for a hot climate

Can anyone advise me where it is best to shop for good quality women's travel clothes for a hot climate? I go past the array of shops in my local area and these days they all seem to be full of synthetic fabrics. I am in Agios Nikolaos for 3 weeks in July and really want stuff I can wash and dry easily as well as it being cool and comfortable to wear.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes for a hot climate

How about good old M&S? Most of my summer wardrobe (clothes as well as shoes) comes from M&S and I have found the materials and styles to be perfect for the warm Mediterranean summers.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothes for a hot climate

Hi Buzziewine..I do SO know what you mean!!

I just keep my eyes skinned when I am out and about for suitable stuff.

Every now and again, I come across cotton voile and thin, easy to care for cotton garments but it has never been in one particular store.

So far, I have had great items from Primark, Tesco and the local charity shops LOL!

It's just a question of looking around and sorting out the odd, suitable article from all of the completely unsuitable stuff, I'm afraid. :O) :O)

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes for a hot climate

P.S. Have you any Asian shops nearby? They are great for cotton, lightweight shirts. :O)

Edited: 22 February 2011, 17:29
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes for a hot climate

Yes, Tesco and Sainsbury's too have come up trumps on occasion for T-shirts and shorts made of thin cotton material.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes for a hot climate

Leave some room in your suitcase -you will see lots of suitable things when you get to Crete - and in July the sales should be on!

Essex
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothes for a hot climate

Thanks for your replies. I am about size 14/16 and I find a lot of Capri style pants are not cut very well. Lots of dresses are so synthetic. it seems that things that were once so easy to come by are in the minority. Fabrics that are loose and light without being synthetic. The shops are full of clothes that you know you would die in once they get in the heat. I am sounding like my mother here ha ha.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothes for a hot climate

Hey Buzziewine:-) I practice what NikolettaG here suggests;-) I try to pack light since it's a bit of a haul for me..and usually try to leave some room for the goodies..and find that you can, in fact, usually find some excellent..all cotton..deals right on the isles..I've picked up everything from T's to wonderful summery light pants/cover ups..even sandals/flip flops..They know what to stock over there for those hot Summer days;-) Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothes for a hot climate

Have you tried M&S? I'm a similar size to you and have bought several capri pants over the last couple of summers which fitted really well (although I guess it depends more on your shape rather than your size). Two of them were made of very thin material, I practically lived in them while in Greece as they were very light, washed well and dried super quickly.

For me, finding the right items has always been a question of perseverance. Sometimes the high street is full of clothes of the right type, size, material etc. and at other times I can't find what I'm looking for for love nor money.

Buying locally doesn't work for me, especially for skirts and trousers. It seems I'm the wrong height for Greece - most regular trousers look like Capris once I put them on, and not in a nice way either lol :-D

Plus I hate having to waste my holiday time shopping for clothes, something that I consider a chore at the best of times.

Edited: 22 February 2011, 18:53
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothes for a hot climate

Well we all have our problems and it really doesn't matter what size you are.

I'm a size 10 - 12 in trousers and I find the manufacturers think I should have a much bigger derriere than I have! Fitted trousers are OUT!!! LOL

I get around this by buying, seersucker-type fabric baggy 3/4 length trousers.

I have to have seriously thin overshirts to cover my skinny tops as I burn easily and these are the most difficult to find....... but I have found them by looking around - It really doesn't matter what size they are are they are worn loose.

Best of luck on this but being of a 'particular age', I know how hard it is! :O).

Edited: 22 February 2011, 19:46
colchester
Destination Expert
for Stoupa
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothes for a hot climate

Try your local 'outdoor' shop for easy to wear, easy to wash clothes, suitable for daytime wear.

Get answers to your questions about Stoupa
Recent Conversations