We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gypsies, are they still in the area?

Which Stoupa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
L T
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
111 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Gypsies, are they still in the area?

I was reading another forum site that warned of the dangers of thefts from parked vehicles. The post stated the problem was down to Albanian Gypsies. This post was a few years ago and I have found out that it's not a permanent problem now.

We visited Parga around 11 years ago and several thefts from apartments were reported then from Albanian Gypsies camped nearby.

Has anyone any up-to-date info please?

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
205 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gypsies, are they still in the area?

completely unaware there was any problem whatsoever! the place seemed very peaceful and trustworthy to me

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gypsies, are they still in the area?

Albanians and Gypsies are an easy scapegoat for any local problems. Thefts from parked vehicles can be down to anyone and can be avoided if normal care is taken.

Would you leave your things in view if you parked your car in Sheffield? Neither would I.

L T
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
111 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gypsies, are they still in the area?

I guess they do get the blame for thefts etc philhellene. No, I wouldn't leave anything in my car in view and would adopt the same approach whilst in any country regardless.

Only 3 weeks and we are there :)

colchester
Destination Expert
for Stoupa
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gypsies, are they still in the area?

Two years ago there were many Albanians living (in hovels) and working, mainly on new properties being built, one night the police followed by a couple of coaches came along the front and rounded up any guys who didn't have the proper work permits, and transported them back home. Since that time it seems that only legitimate people (often with young families) are resident in Stoupa, and are here to work at skilled trades such as stonemasonry and building.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gypsies, are they still in the area?

<<Albanians and Gypsies are an easy scapegoat for any local problems. Thefts from parked vehicles can be down to anyone and can be avoided if normal care is taken.>>

Quite!!

6. Re: Gypsies, are they still in the area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Stoupa
Recent Conversations