We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos is stoupa this summer?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos is stoupa this summer?

Have the Mosquitos been bad this summer in stoupa? Wondering whether to take the plugs/roll on etc? 2 weeks to go!!!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos is stoupa this summer?

I always take the plug ins and use an insect repellent at night. I never take chances.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
895 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos is stoupa this summer?

We have had worse bites at home this year! Neither of us got a single bite when we spent a week in the Peloponnese in late June!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,742 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos is stoupa this summer?

My advice? ALWAYS be prepared for them!

I was amazed at the lack of bites this year until a couple of weeks ago, since then there seems to be a new one or three every day! There is never a truly guaranteed safe time, I have even got caught out on milder days in the winter :(

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos is stoupa this summer?

I'm heading to Stoupa next month - guessing I will be able to buy a plug-in mossie device locally? (I've lost the one I bought more than 15 years ago!)

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos is stoupa this summer?

Thanks everyone! Was in parga 4 weeks ago and got bit quite badly... But usually go to Lefkas and never have any problems! Being prepared is the best option!

Suffolk UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos is stoupa this summer?

Has anyone any additional tips on avoiding insect bites? Last year I returned from Stoupa with over 20 bites (which is a low figure for me, Hubby only got 3 - he always says that the best way to avoid getting bitten is to sit next to me as I'm the mozzie magnet and he is left nearly always intact!)

I know that I am O.T.T. on this subject (certainly to those who don't attract the little blighters) and over the years have devoted a fair amount of time trawling T.A. forums for added inspiration but can anyone suggest anything else? Pre and on holiday I take a course of odourless garlic capsules, antihistamine and Vitamin B capsules, I use non perfumed products, my sun protection cream+aftersun has insect repellant in it but also add a spray of insect repellant (deet products work no better for me) have tried "don't bite me" patches, we use the plug-ins at night times, coils if sitting outside, keep windows+doors closed as much as possible, avoid wearing dark colours and cover up exposed flesh in the evenings.............. the list goes on ....... sometimes it even makes me laugh how paranoid I am over the matter!

Perhaps I should just accept that I obviously have what insects like and stay Home indoors but nope I love my holidays to Greece too much and so am always looking for that piece of new knowledge that maybe might make all the difference.......but will also make sure I pack plenty of bite remedies !

derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos is stoupa this summer?

Same here, I don't think it matters what you put on , if there going to get you they will, I've tried all sorts of protection, I seem to get bit at the beginning of the holiday when your fresh new skin lol, it's the itching that kills me, think we have to put up with it, I've heard eating Marmite helps , !!

derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos is stoupa this summer?

Yes you can in supermarket , easily found in the uk , but cheaper in Greece

whitstable
Level Contributor
121 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos is stoupa this summer?

I work outside a great deal on various nature reserves where mozzies can be a problem

I find that If I apply "Skin so soft " from Avon it keeps the little b`s away

Another tip that I`ve found useful is to spray repellent around the tun ups of trousers, especially if not wearing socks

Leyburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos is stoupa this summer?

We returned from Stoupa yesterday after a fortnight stay. Having been travelling to Greece regularly since 1979, I can honestly say that this year in Stoupa I have been bitten far less than anywhere else !

We had a couple of bites on our last evening, but other than that no problem

Get answers to your questions about Stoupa
Recent Conversations