We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
2 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges

BEWARE if booking with doyouspain.com for care hire.

I booked car hire via Do you Spain Car Hire for 12 to 14 April 2013, I was quoted 37.91 euros for a Ford focus, payment on arrival, including free additional driver, which was clearly advertised & I have the quote.

Do you Spain Car Hire claim to be the cheapest, however, I had to pay over 90 euros on collection at Reus airport. When I stated I was not happy with this overcharge I was advised to contact the agent.

The agent told me that because I chose to pay on collection, I was not entitled to a free additional driver, and "the free additional driver was offered by Goldcar but not by Firefly, the supplier who was assigned to your booking, and depending on the payment method chosen, you are assigned one or another supplier".

What a load of nonsense and what a way to get money from unsuspecting customers.

This is misleading advertising and I will be contacting my credit card company and all social media to warn others NOT to use this company.

The terms & conditions for Do you Spain are quoted below, but beware...

•Fuel is not included in our quoted rates.

•On arrival you will be asked to prepay a full tank and return the car empty as we are not able to refund money for unused fuel.

•On rentals of 3 days or less, we will refund the money for the fuel remaining in the tank.

•The fuel price (including the refueling service charge) will be between 51 and 156eur.

•Payment needs to be made by a CREDIT CARD (Visa or MasterCard) by the main driver.

•Minimum age 21 with one year driving experience.

•Young driver supplement(21-25): 4.50eur/day, max.54eur.

•Customers who have held a driving licence for less than 4 years - supplement of 4.50eur per day, max.54eur.

• First additional driver free.

•Further additional driver 4.50eur/day, max.54eur each per hire.

•On arrival you will be offered optional insurance for damage to wheels/glass.

•If you do not wish to take it you will be asked to leave a deposit (600eur) which is refunded when the vehicle is returned.

•Loss of vehicle documents fee: 30eur.

•Fine admin fee: 37eur.

• Extra insurance for taking the vehicle to France/Andorra 8.50eur/day (min.22eur max.66eur).

•It is not allowed to take the vehicle to Portugal/Gibraltar.

• Unlimited mileage.

•GPS: 8.50eur/day, max.85eur.

880 replies to this topic
Poland
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges

Car rentals are shameless as regards fleecing their customers. I would recommend you to calculate how much you have been overcharged and send them a complaint by e-mail demanding the reimbursement of that amount. If the rental company refuses, send a complaint to the European Consumer Centre in your country (http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/index_en.htm, http://www.ukecc.net/ for the UK). It costs nothing and is quite efficient to bring the rental company in line.

I have just succeeded in getting a refund from Avis car rental in Spain for being overcharged for a full tank of fuel (priced almost 2 euros per litre instead of the fuel station price of 1,50). The same trick - you are forced to purchase a full tank of fuel from them and return empty, which is technically impossible, as you always need to leave some fuel as reserve. They fleece you twice in the process - first by selling you the fuel at inflated price, second time by having some leftover fuel in the returned tank.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges

I agreed with the way Do You Spain treat customers. They left me stranded at Palma Airport on a rental I made on the 6th of May 2013 on line with full insurance provided on an specified type of car I rented and paid in full with my credit car on line. On arrival I was request to pay the rental again and to take the insurance when I refused I was told to contact Do You Spain. When tried to call no one answer the phone. I was left my self and family stranded causing a great deal of stress and expenses.

Have tried to get my money back but DYS refused to reply my emails. Any feed back would appreciate.

Wirral
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges

Do not trust Do You Spain Car Hire. We hired a 3 door Corsa through Do You Spain and chose Avis Car Hire because we thought we could receive a reliable honest service. We have the same car at home so knew this size was adequate for us, or a similar car. However, when we arrived very late with my family we were offered a Fiat 500 (totally smaller than a Corsa) and told by Avis, they do not stock 3 door Corsas The only way we could get a car that would take 4 passengers and our 3 cases was to upgrade. We had already paid in full via our credit card before we travelled. When we challenged Avis and showed them our receipt stating the size of car we had paid for they said take it up with Do You Spain. We spent many hours trying to contact them via email and phone, they have still not responded. We had to upgrade to Avis B category which cost us another 300 euros and we refused to take out the extra insurance which would have cost us a further 300 euros. When we returned the vehicle, Avis said in future to go direct with the Car Hire Company as they know what stock of cars they have, where as Do You Spain DONT. Do You Spain are still advertising a 3 door Corsa through Avis and there is a clear price difference between a Corsa and a Fiat 500 sized car (even if one was available, which it is not). Avis said they have this problem all the time with Do You Spain.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 09:51
London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges

DO NOT USE THIS CAR COMPANY. You will pay way over the "total balance". My "total balance" was 54,98 € and I ended up paying 111 €. There was no-one to meet us at the airport. No-one answered the number provided. When we complained they simply shrugged their shoulders. The car was a beaten up Seat and not the Renault Scenic described so hardly similar as they describe. Do yourself a favour stir clear of this company. Pay for your own fuel. Yes the tank is full but even after 1 week and having used the car almost daily and driving to and fro the airport we still had a half a tank left.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges

We hired a car in September through Doyouspain at Alicante airport and ended up with Firefly. We were charged VAT on fuel, isn't this illegal as VAT has already been paid at the pumps? Doyouspain advertise 'no excess' but Firefly demand 400 euro excess. If you try to contact Doyouspain to complain none of the pages work.

Time we all used other companies!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges

DoYouSpain defintely have misleading adverts as all the hidden costs add up. However, I believe this is the case with lots of agents. My main complaint about DoYouSpain is that they wree of no help when we were scammed by a car hire company they recommended! The review below is what I have written about that company - Avis.

Malaga and the surrounding areas are beautiful but a warning - DO NOT USE AVIS CAR HIRE! We visited Spain in July 2013 and hired a car, booked earlier in the UK through a website called DoYouSpain.com. We arrived at the Malaga Railway office and paid with our credit card.

Once back at home in September, we received a letter from Avis Malaga stating that the Spanish authorities had contacted them regarding a traffic violation we had committed. Neither of us have ever committed a traffic violation or had points on our licences, but fair enough - we were in a different country and perhaps had made an error. Avis deducted £34.00 from our credit card as an administration fee for them 'passing on our details'. They said that the Spanish authorities would be in touch soon with details of their own fine. Several months later, at the close of 2013, the Spanish authorities have still not been in touch.

When we contacted Avis Malaga, they have said that they "cannot find the name of the Spanish authority they gave the information to". What?! If we committed a traffic offence, why have the Spanish authorities not been in touch with us? And why can't Avis pass on the details of the authorities so WE can contact them? This has lead us to believe this is a huge scam that Avis (or that particular office) is making a healthy profit from. DoYouSpain has been of no help either. Avis are LYING, CHEATING SCAMMERS - we will obviously never use them again.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges

wow! you are busy!

you got caught breaking the law. get over it!

a p
London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges

do no use do you spain OR Record Go, buch of crooks

Edited: 05 March 2014, 11:59
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges

why?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,643 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges

It is quite easy on this kind of Forum to write one message and then never again seen. I prefer reading messages which are written by people with something to say that can be followed up and not just one message with nothing else. It is a shame but it does happen.

Reply to: Do You Spain Car Hire - misleading advertising & overcharges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted