We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reus Car Hire

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Reus Car Hire

Hi

Was wondering if anybody who has been through Reus Airport recently can tell me what car hire companies have desks in the arrival area. I know Goldcar and Europcar do and that Hertz no longer do. Who are the others?

Thanks

24 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reus Car Hire

Check with www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

www.spain.info

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reus Car Hire

Hertz are there but under a new name - Advantage.

Use www.doyouspain.com or www.holidayautos.co.uk to get yourself the best hire deal. Remember that a full tank of petrol which you pay for is part of the deal. Anything petrol returned with the car is not refunded.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reus Car Hire

Hi

Thanks for the answers.

I did some searching and and have found negative views on websites about Goldcar and the service they provide - it generally revolves around their terms and conditions.

I am going to rent a car in Reus airport in June and the quote I get from doyouspain.com and rentalcars.com all have either Goldcar or firefly (new re-branded name for advantage and who ryanair use when Hertz is not available) as the providers because they "seem" to be the cheapest.

Other providers are also offered at a higher rate.

I am aware of all the conditions such as 650 euro on cc and the full to empty policy. I will have the car hire for 12 days and will use the tank of fuel. I also have a cc with a 1000 limit which I can use for the deposit and then another cc for holiday use. I also plan to take insurance probably with insurance4carhire.com so if anything does happen I should be covered.

Given this I have the following queries.

Does anyone have any positive experience with either firefly or goldcar at Reus or the Barcelona area?

Did you book the car through either doyouspain or rentalcars.com?

Should i use one of the providers which initially are more expensive but perhaps would work out cheaper in long run?

Thanks in anticipation

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reus Car Hire

1). I have used Goldcar on three occasions. All fine - no problems. If you don't take out fully inc insurance with Goldcar make sure you spend 5 minutes checking over all paintwork and the wheels/tyres.

2). Rented thru doyouspain. You usually get a slightly better rate than holidayautos. Never used rentalcars.com

3). You have to take everything into account when renting the car. How much mileage, free all inc insurance, etc. Without knowing this info its hard to give an exact recommendation.

Have a great time.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reus Car Hire

Thank you for your reply.

I will take everything into account as I see that both Goldcar and Firefly have a range for fuel pre-payment. For a compact car it ranges from 80-130 euro. I will probably work on the higher end of this figure.

Can you remember how much the fully inc insurance with Goldcar was?

Bristol, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Reus Car Hire

Hi, can i be nosey and ask if you made your decision on car hire? I am a bit frustrated as we are travelling to Coma Ruga next week, our flights are so late that all transfer options bar taxi (est at 60euros min) are out of the question. We used Goldcar in Mallorca a few years back and they had plenty of hidden charges and ended up costing £300 for the week. Would rather not do car hire but little choice I think, all the best Nick

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reus Car Hire

Hi

Sorry I haven't made the final decision yet. I will probably use doyouspain.com to book as they seem to have cheaper deals than rentalcars.com. My car hire is for 12 days and I am trying to decide on whether to go for a VW POLO with Alamo (approx £168) with a full-full fuel policy or a vw golf with firefly for about £123.

With Firefly you have to buy their insurance or leave a deposit on cc of 320 euro approx and also prepay fuel.

Alamo I think take an imprint of cc as opposed to a deposit from the card but not sure on that.

I haven't seen too many reviews on firefly - only know they are budget hertz (used to be advantage I believe). Their prices are very good but sometimes I wonder about things that seem too good to be true!!!

If you do end up using one of car hire firms I would be interested to hear how you get on.

Bristol, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Reus Car Hire

Thanks for response

I hope you get on ok with do-you-spain, the reviews are not so good. I remember the rows at mallorca, everyone disgruntled with the additional charges. I may just wait and see what they can offer at the airport

as the small print on the websites usually suggests you have a deposit of between 500 and 1500 quid and i don't have the larger amount on the cc so rules them out. I will post again, good luck with your plans, Nick

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reus Car Hire

In February 2013 I got free all inc car insurance as part of the deal. Last year from memory it was about 6 euros per day. On both occasions it was out of season. You will pay more in May and June..... a lot more in July and August. Perhaps the Mallorca office is a rogue site.... as yet never had a problem with any car hire firm at Reus or El Prat airport.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reus Car Hire

Thanks for the reply.

That was the reason for my query as the problems with the car hire seemed to be areas other than reus and the Barcelona area. As you say it may be a rogue site.

Nick - good luck with your holiday. Hope you get sorted with your car hire. If you have time when you get back I would be interested to hear how you get on.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 21:58
Reply to: Reus Car Hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted