We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salina Island (Sicily) Bus Schedules

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Salina Island (Sicily) Bus Schedules

Going to Salina Island off Sicily's northern coast? Arriving by hydrofoil or ferry at Santa Marina or Rinella? Arriving directly from Naples on the overnight SIREMAR ferry?

While renting a car or motorscooter or tandem scooter is a great idea to explore the island, and to be recommended, there is also regular bus service, DAILY year-round, connecting each of the towns.

There are two main routes:

1) Rinella/Leni/Malfa/Santa Marina/Lingua and return

2) Malfa/Pollara and return

Buses run on a reduced schedule on Sundays. During the summer, bus schedules are significantly increased (including an evening run).

Buy your ticket from the driver. Sample fares:

Santa Marina/Rinella: 2.20 Euros one way or 3.40 Euros r/t;

Santa Marina/Malfa or Malfa/Pollara: 1.50 Euros one way or 2.50 Euros r/t;

Malfa/Rinella: 1.90 Euros one way or 3.05 Euros r/t

The name of the bus operator is C.I.T.I.S., which stands for "Consorzio Intercomunale Trasporti Isola di Salina"

The operator purchased its third brand new bus last year, a 28 seater with air conditioning. The company has been around since 1970, even though bus service on the island began in 1954. The company has a total of nine buses covering a network of 40 kilometers, and transported over 100,000 passengers in 2007.

www.trasportisalina.it

telephone: 0909844150 dal lunedì al sabato dalle 8 alle 14

e-mail: citi.s@tiscali.it

fax: 0909844174

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,634 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Salina Island (Sicily) Bus Schedules

The Tourist Office of the Aeolian Islands has issued this map of Salina:

aasteolie.191.it/Piantine%20isole/Pianta%20i…

It’s important to note that Salina never has restrictions on bringing cars on the island, but many enjoy exploring Salina on scooters.

Vagabonda

Copenhagen, Denmark
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Salina Island (Sicily) Bus Schedules

Is there anybody who has any information about bike rental on Salina? I can't find anything about bike rental on Salina on the internet!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,634 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salina Island (Sicily) Bus Schedules

Ciao NLRS,

Tourist Service S.A.S. Noleggio Auto Scooter:

98050 Malfa (ME)

112/A, VIA ROMA

tel: 090 9844034

http://www.touristservicesas.it/index.html

http://www.touristservicesas.it/FLOTTA.htm

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salina Island (Sicily) Bus Schedules

When you say "bike rentals" do you mean bicycle or motor scooter? Renting a motor scooter or a motorcycle is common on Salina, but a bicycle is not suitable at all, given the very steep inclines all over the island (except for the short stretch between SM Salina and Linga, which is flat).

There are motor scooter rentals also at Rinella and at SM Salina (where the ferries/hydrofoils dock).

It is also possible to rent motor scooters and automobiles on Lipari and Vulcano.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,634 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Salina Island (Sicily) Bus Schedules

Tourist Service in Malfa rents cars, scooters and bicycles.

Check Noleggio Bongiorno for scooter rentals at S. Marina Salina.

Noleggio Bongiorno:

Via Risorgimento, 240

98050 - S. Marina Salina (ME)

Tel.: (+39) 090/9843409-9843308 - 368/675906

Fax: (+39) 090/9843656

http://www.noleggiobongiorno.it/index.html

And though the average tourist to Salina would take the bus or explore the island by scooter, Salina is also a popular destination for (challenging) bicycle tours as well.

siciclando.com/tours/sicily/taste-of-sicily-…

http://www.wowcuba.com/sicily/sicily08.html

Vagabonda

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
589 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salina Island (Sicily) Bus Schedules

Hi! I'm from MacQueen's Island Tours / WoWCuba. While I thank you very much for the referral, Vagabonda, our Sicily program only caters to small group tours. While we imported a small fleet of bicycles there several years ago for our spring/fall tour program, we now source rental equipment locally to support our tours. We can't help out with independent bike rentals, I'm afraid.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,634 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Salina Island (Sicily) Bus Schedules

Thank you for the updated information rubiahojosazules!

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

8. Re: Salina Island (Sicily) Bus Schedules

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Isola di Salina