We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 6 days too long to spend in Salina?

sydney
Level Contributor
48 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Is 6 days too long to spend in Salina?

We're thinking of spending 6 nights/5 days in Salina mid June. We will have already spent 9 days in northern Italy and then another 12 days in Sicily concentrating on the south east. The 6 nights in Salina would come after that and before 4 nights in Palermo at the end of our trip.

It's our third time in Sicily but our first time visiting the Aeolian Islands.

I chose Salina because it appears less busy/touristy than Lipari, but I was wondering if 6 nights is too long? We plan to alternate between days on Salina with a scooter so we can have a look around and days doing daytrips to some of the other islands. We did this type of thing in Procida last year and really enjoyed one day of sightseeing then one day of relaxing/ beach.

Also I read on the forum from Vagabonda that Malfa is the preferred town on Salina - should we rethink our choice of Santa Maria? I was hoping it would have the same feel as Procida which we enjoyed very much. While we're happy to scooter during the day we really prefer to walk at night

modica
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 6 days too long to spend in Salina?

If you like to relax anad recharge the batteries, then there is never too much time to spend in the Aeolians! To be honest even if you want to be out and about then 6 days will fly by, if you are visiting other islands too.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 6 days too long to spend in Salina?

You can easily spend six nights on Salina, especially if you plan to alternate between days on Salina and days doing day-trips to some of the other islands.

All the towns on Salina have a different charm - Santa Marina Salina is the main port, so it's convenient if you plan to ferry to the islands, but which town you would base is a personal preference.

Lingua at Salina island:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k1941…

Vagabonda

ireland
Level Contributor
99 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 6 days too long to spend in Salina?

Hi msrobski,

We stayed 7 nights on Aeolians 2 years ago - 3 nights on lipari as somewhat better touring base, and 4 nights of total chill out on Salina in Malfa. When we go back it will be to Malfa.

I doubt 6 nights on Salina will feel too long.

Enjoy

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 6 days too long to spend in Salina?

If you were to decide to stay in Malfa, there's a local bus service on Salina.

http://www.trasportisalina.it/

Vagabonda

sydney
Level Contributor
48 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 6 days too long to spend in Salina?

thanks very much everyone!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 6 days too long to spend in Salina?

Prego e buon viaggio msrobski!

Vagabonda

7. Re: Is 6 days too long to spend in Salina?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 14:19
Get answers to your questions about Isola di Salina