We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Palermo to Salina

London, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Ferry from Palermo to Salina

Hello,

I wonder if someone can advise if there is an alternative route to Salina from Palermo other than the Ustica Lines ferry? I have read that this is the best way to travel there and so I went to book tickets online in advance but the cost for two people return is €172.60. I find this extremely expensive- its almost as much as the price of our flights to Sicily!

Thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,126 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Salina

The Ustica Lines hydrofoil service is seasonal, convenient, and the only direct service from Palermo to Salina.

Otherwise, take the train from Palermo to Milazzo, the AST local bus service from Milazzo's train station to Milazzo's port (no service on Sundays), and then take the Siremar ferry or hydrofoil, or the Ustica Lines hydrofoil from Milazzo to Salina.

Vagabonda

London, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Salina

Thanks for your reply Vagabonda. I think I'll have to give that part of my holiday a miss at that price, it's a shame it's such a hugely expensive journey with no cheaper alternatives.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Salina

Prego Dee G,

It's a long distance from Palermo to the Aeolians!

The crossing is less expensive from Milazzo.

Have you considered the Egadi Islands that can be reached from Trapani?

Vagabonda

London, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Salina

Thanks Vagabonda! I'll look into that!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,126 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Salina

Prego Dee G,

Segesta runs direct bus service from Palermo to Trapani, and then Ustica Lines runs hydrofoil service, and Siremar runs ferry and hydrofoil services from Trapani to the Egadi Islands.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k7649…

lonelyplanet.com/italy/sicily/egadi-islands

Vagabonda

6. Re: Ferry from Palermo to Salina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Isola di Salina