We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traditional?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
102 posts
19 reviews
traditional?

Is Pefkos a traditional Greek resort? I have been told it is purpose built and does not have any of the winding, quaint streets I am after. I have been pointed in the direction of Lindos but all of the nice sc accommodation that I fancy seems to be in Pefkos. Any help appreciated.

19 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: traditional?

Pefkos started out as a fishing village with some summer homes for Lindos residents to spend the summer. Most development is within the last 20 years and there are none of the types of lanes that you mention. You're probably being pointed towards Pefkos as there aren't many self catering hotels around Lindos. Lots of smaller places near the village studios etc but I believe places with pools etc are at Krana which is the area that overlooks Lindos.

However, Pefkos is less than 10 minutes away by taxi from Lindos so easily reachable or you could get the glass bottom boat from Pefkos that leaves at 10am and picks up in Lindos at 4pm. A nice way to travel

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
102 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: traditional?

Thank you. Do you know if there are many trips eg. boat trips, jeep tours etc. that wiuld be available from Pefkos? Thanks

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: traditional?

I think that there are the usual selection of trips from Pefkos as other resorts. There is certainly two winding lanes down to the beach with the odd Greek shop.

Lindos naturally has more Greek character but in my opinion is impractical to stay. The local bus service runs regular and cheap from Pefkos to Lindos

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: traditional?

Thank you both. Are the beaches at pefkos suitable to snorkel from.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: traditional?

Hi.

In the Krana area of lindos which is a 10 minutes walk down to the village. There are about 10 plus self catering hotels/apartments. Lindos gardens, lindos view, lambis, lindos horizon, lindos Athena, lindos blue sky, ceasers gardens, elani, George studios, lildian myth, Rafael, Karna apartments, might have missed some. Most have pools. Plus 4 villas which were with villa plus all with there own individual pools. But different company for next year. Plus more accommodation within the village but no pools. So lots of self catering in lindos.

Peter.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
82 reviews
6. Re: traditional?

Pefkos is a fairly characterless (imo), purpose built resort popular with Brits. It has one main road running through it with bars and restaurants and a couple of side roads running down to the beaches that also have restaurants and some bars. It's a good base for exploring the island but If you're looking for quaint, winding streets and Greek charm you're likely to be disappointed.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
102 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: traditional?

Dr_cheese where would you recommend?

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
82 reviews
8. Re: traditional?

Rhodes isn't one of my favourite islands but Lindos or Rhodes town would probably suit you.

Elsewhere in Greece there are plenty of options, Parga is our current favourite:

https:/…72157684444385403

https:/…72157668079718194

Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: traditional?

Hi Julie

You seem to be asking the same question reguarly, i just got back from Pefkos yesterday. i will give you an honest opinion. Pefkos is lovely with lovely beaches and decent restaurants but not a lot of greek history to see. Lindos and Rhodes on the other hand has all the Greek history you caould ever meed so my answer is try 1 of them

sheffield
Level Contributor
448 posts
106 reviews
10. Re: traditional?

We like the kinds of atmospheric villages that you are after but use Pefkos as a base. I've been to quite a few different Greek Islands and the ones that come up with the goods as far as quaint winding streets, atmosphere etc are Paros and Naxos in the Cyclades, Syros too - the main town Ermoupoli is archtecturally very interesting.

The reason we're in Pefkos (and the reason we went to Kefalos, Kos and Agia Marina Crete earlier this year) is cost. Costing out two weeks in Paros though gorgeous is at least 500 quid more per person than our current trip to Pefkos sadly.

But for me I'd rather be on Pefkos or Glystra beach than sitting in my garden at home 15 degrees cooler so it will do for me !! Enjoy wherever you go !

Reply to: traditional?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pefkos
Recent Conversations