We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol Souvenir for Greece

South Shields...
Level Contributor
643 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol Souvenir for Greece

Me and the other half always grab a souvenir alcohol based to bring home, last year we brought back a mini bottle of raki from Turkey, what is the drink for Greece?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol Souvenir for Greece

Hey and welcome scallyally:-) Ouzo..it's everywhere! Enjoy!

South Shields...
Level Contributor
643 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol Souvenir for Greece

Thanks Litsa, I seem to recall that is aniseed??? What do they drink it with?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol Souvenir for Greece

Hey again..and you're welcome:-) Well, I don't drink the stuff..but you see it often enough throughout the Country..at tavernas, etc..some drink it straight..on the rocks..some put water in it..it appears to smoke up/get cloudy like a brew..lol!! I'm strictly a wino..and FWIW, there are some wonderful locally produced wines the Country offers as well! Keep enjoyin'!

South Shields...
Level Contributor
643 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol Souvenir for Greece

Sounds a bit like raki in Turkey, that goes cloudy too and they call it lions milk or blood, something like that! We adore wine but will have to give this a go, thank you

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol Souvenir for Greece

....similar possibly..but not the same..like tsipouro which is another classic offering..they all look alike, but devotees will tell you they are most definitely different..distinctive tastes:-) I tried it once..ouzo..as well as tsipouro up North..couldn't tell the difference..it's all firewater as far as I'm concerned;-)) Keep enjoyin'!

Leicester
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol Souvenir for Greece

Hi,

Something else to look out for is Souma - unlike Ouzo it is not commercially produced on a large scale. Traditionally the only place to buy was in small shops and by the roadside in and around the village of Siana but you do see it slightly more widely available now. A bit like moonshine - more often sold in unlabelled bottles and quality tends to vary!!

Cheers,

Dave.

South Shields...
Level Contributor
643 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol Souvenir for Greece

Thanks Dave, that sounds very interesting! We shall keep a look out for that

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,034 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcohol Souvenir for Greece

Hello times , they are a changing. Suma is available in labelled bottles @ some small shops & supermarkets. I buy mine in 5 litre bottles for 25 € .

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcohol Souvenir for Greece

If you buy ouzo, keep in mind the Greeks always have ouzo with food, especially meze, like so: http://tinyurl.com/6d8nyyw

Whether you drink it neat with/out ice, or diluted with water doesn't matter, but you must have food with it.

The only people who drink ouzo neat are foreigners.

Its is indeed quite similar to raki, just a little sweeter and smoother. Tsipouro is more fiery.

In case you want something different (sweeter) there are several good wines you can buy, and an excellent dessert wine called Mavrodaphne.

Also many liqueurs.

Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcohol Souvenir for Greece

All the other posts have offered excellent local drinks but nobody has mentioned Metaxa Brandy which is exceptional.

It's available everywhere in Greece.

3,5 &7 star plus some limited edition variations which although good are silly prices.

Sample them all and decide on your own particular favourite, mine is 3 star!

Edited: 09 March 2011, 08:33
Get answers to your questions about Pefkos
Recent Conversations