We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Rhodes on 6th October as a single traveller

L
8 posts
Save Topic
Coming to Rhodes on 6th October as a single traveller

Hello,

I am coming to Rhodes as a single traveller. I will be staying in a hotel in the Tholos area. Could anyone tell me of a good tour operator that does some nice excursions as I don't want to travel around alone.

Also which are the best excursions to go on ?

Thanksl

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Rhodes on 6th October as a single traveller

Hi Jane

Where to go and what to see totally depends upon what type of thing appeals to you. Tholos ( Theologos on the schedules) is on a regular bus service into Rhodes Town, from where you can then access buses to many other areas and sights on the island.

The buses from Tholos terminate at the West Side bus terminal in Rhodes Town from where it is just a minute's walk to the East Side terminal. "Terminals" is a bit of a misnomer - it is actually a line of bus stops along the pavement on the west side of the Agora.

www.ando.gr scroll down and click on bus schedules

I don't know Tholos too well, but there should be at least one local excursion agency there who'd be able to offer you lots of different trips if you don't fancy using the buses.

Edited: 28 September 2011, 07:53
Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,338 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Rhodes on 6th October as a single traveller

Although it would be a long day, An island tour is good

You get to stop at various places to explore

So you are not sitting all the time

Normally also includes lunch in one of the villages

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,336 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Rhodes on 6th October as a single traveller

Here you can see the "terminal" in Rhodes town:

http://tinyurl.com/3ry4tou

L
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Rhodes on 6th October as a single traveller

Thankyou so much everyone for your kind replies!!!!

I will take all your advice and use it wisely.

I am very nervous about coming on my own but I hope I will be able to navigate around the Greek language and people.

Do many Greek people speak English - like the bus drivers? If I was to ask them directions?

Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Rhodes on 6th October as a single traveller

You will easily be able to make yourself understood. Most people you meet on Rhodes will understand English.

I would have no hesitation in visiting Rhodes as a solo traveller.

mid wales
Level Contributor
240 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Rhodes on 6th October as a single traveller

Since being widowed I visit Rhodes as a single traveller often.I always feel safe and most of the Greek people speak at least some English. It's a lovely island with lovely people.

L
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming to Rhodes on 6th October as a single traveller

again thankyou very much to the people who have replied to me.

I am going to be staying in Tholos so I will have to get the bus everyday to get to the centre of Rhodes in order to go on trips.

Does any one know if any tour companies who do good day trips?

Thanks

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming to Rhodes on 6th October as a single traveller

Hey

Jane, all you need to do is walk around Mandraki harbour in Rhodes Town by the boats, they all have the itenary and prices advertised on boards. All are reliable and what u c is what u get.

Alternatively, there are a number of agencies around Mandraki harbour where u can books trips.

My advice would b to avoid booking with yr hotel or your travel reps. I am not familiar with Tholos but if u come across a travel/excursion agency, u usually wont go wrong.

Have a great time

Mart

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming to Rhodes on 6th October as a single traveller

Hi Jane,

When I was in Rhodes Old Town in July I picked up a leaflet from Sigma Travel in Socratourous Street in Rhodes Old Town. This advertised a variety of tours some of which include collection from hotels. There phone number is 0030 22410 25556. The Main office number is 0030 22410 90049.

The tours advertised included:

Symi and Panormitis - evefry Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Departs Mandraki at 0900 and returns by approx 1800 - cost 23€

Island Tour - every Tuesday - visits Filerimos, Vallaey of the Butterflies, Kamiros, Embonas, Apollona , Saint Nektaious Church in Archipoli and a ceramic factory in Afandou. Entrance fees to some of the sites is not included but should be about 12€. There is also a lunch stop at a "tradditional Greek Restaurant - cost 30€.

Lazy Day Cruise - visits the beaches of Tsambika, Abhony Quinn, Kallithea, Stegna and Afandou Caves and includes Lunch - every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday - price 36€.

They advertise trips to Lindos but to be quite honest you can easily get the local bus service from Rhodes Town for 5€ each way and then you can decide how much time you want to spend there. You have already been given the web site for the bus times.

I am also a single traveller and have never had any problems. The locals are really friendly and will do all they can to help you.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

L
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming to Rhodes on 6th October as a single traveller

Thankyou so much everyone I really appreciate your replies.

That would be great if I could get a company to pick me up from my hotel.

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Pefkos