We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extras on Your Holiday Total

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
769 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Extras on Your Holiday Total

We are trying to keep things reasonable and wondering this year to go for the allocated 15kg of luggage. We normally pay for the 20kg. What are your thoughts?

Also, we couldnt sit together last year so are going to pay the £30 to be able to pick our own seats this year, would you do that also?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extras on Your Holiday Total

Hi there

Everyone travels in a different way I guess, we rarely pack more than 12-13kgs so have never needed to pay for additional baggage. Also, we always take a chance on the seating, and have never not managed to get seats together. Again, it's really up to you, maybe you're a nervous flier who needs to sit by your partner in which case then no doubt it's worth it.

I see as well that you can now buy exceptionally light weight suitcases, that weigh little more than a kilo, which allows more weight to pack.

If you're flying with EJ, bear in mind that there is no weight limit on cabin bags ( within reason of course) as long as they fit within the frame by the check in desks and you can lift them into the lockers unassisted.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 11:40
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
769 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extras on Your Holiday Total

Thanks GB, no neither of us are nervous on a plane we just like to sit together. Both times last year we were perched on the end seat of different aisles.

Good tip about the light weight cases

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Extras on Your Holiday Total

I always pay the extra for luggage as I travel alone..If I was travelling with a male partner I would think that 30kg between 2 was adequate ;0) I understand you're wanting to sit together but can't help thinking that if more people resisted being bullied into paying the premium there would be every chance of sitting together providing you check in at a reasonable time as has always been the case.

The more people 'fall' for this extra the more 'necessary' it will be when travelling on a plane with rows of seats with odd numbers Think about it.. It would be a nightmare for an airline to have to deliberately split up parties just because they didn't pay the extra too. It's the same with families with kids can you imagine them getting away with seating a child away from their parents..it really wouldn't be worth the aggro!

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extras on Your Holiday Total

You can save a bit of weight by not taking beach towels, which you can buy on the island for about €5. Cheaper than paying for the extra weight!

Bob

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,196 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extras on Your Holiday Total

Never needed to take more than 12-13kgs for a couple of weeks so never paid for any extra. Always arrive early at check-in & either sat together or either side of an aisle without paying extra but what the heck - we are going to spend 2 weeks together 24/7 so deffo not going to pay to be together for a 4 hour flight. Would rather spend the money on some extra Mythos! I only normally see my partner once a week anyway so we can cope!

EasyJet is great - take care to keep cabin bags within size but as said above no weight limit, so in goes all the photo gear, binoculars, guide books & we wear our hiking boots so they don't add weight to any bags.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
769 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extras on Your Holiday Total

btongirl, we are always in the first 3 families to check in at the airport, this is due to my love of pre airport shopping lol, yet we still got seperated. I totally agree, what will they charge for next, using the loo???

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Extras on Your Holiday Total

Maybe you were unlucky Ally? It's your call obviously..thinking about it perhaps you were too early... the seats and the front of the plane are often the first to be booked anyway so there were odd seats needing to be filled and you and your partner were there at the 'wrong' time?? Who knows? From experience they generally just fill up the plane seat by seat to make it simple..turn on the charm..smile lots ask politely ' if it would be possible' creep a little...empathise with the check in person if it's an early morning it usually works for me when I request an aisle seat ;0) (really don't like being hemmed in when travelling alone)

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
357 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extras on Your Holiday Total

Hi,

We struggle to keep to 20kgs each! I always end taking so much, but I do wear it. We always pay to sit together, would not want to be split up for over 4 hours.

england
Level Contributor
347 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extras on Your Holiday Total

I'd travell on a different aircraft if I could.

cumbria
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Extras on Your Holiday Total

Hi

We are a family of 5 and I really do hate being charged to sit together!!

What we do is go to the airport 2.5 - 3 hours early and we have never yet not been seated together flying out!

There is plenty people and plane watching in the airport to help pass time!

It is a bit of a gamble on the return flight as you are ruled by what time the coach picks you up...

But fingers crossed we have yet to be split up.

Hope that helps a bit.

Get answers to your questions about Pefkos
Recent Conversations