We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito's

Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito's

Hi all, it's been a good few years since we holidayed in Rhodes and my question is, are mosquito's a problem at night ? We are visiting in July.....

penzance
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito's

The mosquitos love me and i was worried about this when we went in may 2010 i did tend to wear long trousers in the evenings and try to cover up . Overall i didnt find them too bad at all !! took citronella candles for the balcony and loads of repellent. We are going again in july so im hoping they wont be too bad . Heres hoping , have a great time !!

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito's

Hi,

There was a long discussion on the subject of mossie bites last year. Although I stay in the Lindos area I seem to attract them and in 2010 got badly bitten. The consensus last year was that the best repellant was Avon Skin So Soft with Citronella. I found it very effective and much cheaper than your normal repellants. If you know an agent ask them to let you know if it comes on offer.

Cheers

Dave

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito's

Hi there

We were in Pefkos for two weeks last Sept and we hardly saw or heard a mosquito, my wife got nibbled a couple of times but I escaped totally. Even sitting out on the balcony in the evenings when it was still very hot and humid, we were fine if we lit a citronella candle.

Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito's

Thanks, we'll give that a go..

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito's

We visited in June last year and, unusually for me, I only got bitten once. I used Boots DEET spray although it smells terrible. As Dave has said a thread on TA shows Avon Skin So Soft shower gel and dry oil body spray (original - blue or green label) do work. I have used them in the past and found them good. I also read to use lemon scented shower gel - I think it was Original Source.

We are going to Parga this year and I have read that there are lots of mossies there so I shall use all the above but also Mosquito Milk which was recommended on TA. It is only available to buy online from Chemist Direct so I will be ordering soon.

Edited: 10 March 2012, 17:31
Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito's

Hi again,

Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray is currently half price. It's better if you can find an agent otherwise the postage will cost more than the spray! I also bought a plug in gizzmo from Boots for about £7. Used for 3 weeks last July and still have enough left for 2 weeks this year.

Cheers

Dave

London
Level Contributor
275 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito's

Those little wrist bands are quite cheap and very effective. We also had plug ins in the room and citronella candles on the balcony. I never get bitten but others in our party do but that seemed to work quite well.

Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito's

thanks

Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito's

I'll have a look in the Avon catalogue, thanks

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquito's

Neither me or my partner got bitten at all last year. We took two cans of spray cost us about £8:00 and we came back with most of it because we kept forgetting and we still didn't get bitten!

Get answers to your questions about Pefkos