We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pefki Island Resort first week of June...

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Pefki Island Resort first week of June...

Hi All,

We are regular Greek Island holidayers but it will be the first time we have been to Rhodes since 2001 when we stayed in Faliraki (yes Club Reps was filming then). We had a great time admittedly and Rhodes remains our favourite island (strange we have not been back since) but as we are older we are looking for something a little less frantic.

Pefkos was recommended to me a few years back. If there is any chance of helping us finalise our decision it would be much appreciated.

Just a couple of questions:-

I've seen the map and can see a large number of bars and restaurants. Are they all still open and going strong? We went to Kalamaki in Zakynthos most recently (2010) and so many places had closed down compared to previous visits it was a bit disappointing. I appreciate the economy is difficult but just wanted an idea on Pefkos.

I understand there is beach close to the Pefki Island Resort (down some strips through their sister hotel). Is this the main Pefkos beach or is there a wider one closeby? How long would it take to walk to the resort centre from Pefki Island?

I appreciate Pefkos caters mainly for Brits. Does this mean every bar is showing Emmerdale or Corrie a la Marjorca or are there bars that actually serve beer and play music all evening? I'm not looking for nightclubs but we do like a beer in comfortable surroundings playing music rather than TV shows we have come away to Greece to avoid.

If anybody has any recommendations for bars and restaurants it would be much appreciated.

Finally, for anybody who has been in early June what were the temperatures like and was there the need for air con? We have only ever had it once in about 15 visits to Greece, Crete at the end of June/Early July in 2007. In fairness we would have opted for air con in Rhodes back in 2001 (mid July) if the hotel we stayed in had got it at the time!

Thanks in anticipation of some helpful responses.

Ju123

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pefki Island Resort first week of June...

A few questions there...!

I was in Pefkos in June 2012, and was pleased to see that the restaurants were all going strong. No guarantees that this will be the same in 2013 of course, but I think Pefkos will weather the economic storm better than many other resorts on other islands.

The beach at the bottom of the road where your hotel is is narrowish to the left side, but wider to the right, towards the bottom of the main beach road. In June there was plenty of room, we always just sit on the sand and there were no problems at all. There are other beaches as well, further round the bay towards Pefkos, as well as a small cove the other way.

The bars do serve beer!!! AFAIK they don't play British TV. It's something I wouldn't want to see (apart from football of course lol) and I certainly don't remember seeing any anywhere. We tended to use tavernas more than bars, but i don't think you will have a problem.

IMO Pefkos has some very good, and in some cases quite stylish, restaurants. Have a look at the list for ideas:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g666539-Pefkos…

and their locations on here (roll your mouse over the map):

http://www.pefkosexclusive.co.uk/map.htm

My particular recommendatios would be Nostalgia and Enigma, and Alexandra's for a gyros.

I think you will need aircon in June. It gets pretty hot in southern Rhodes, but of course it does depend on your perception and also whereabouts you are staying. We always try and stay in upstairs rooms, which are always warmer due to the sun beating down on the roof all day. (Could do with some of that today...)

Hope this helps. I think Pefkos is a great place and would recommend it to anyone; the only possible downside, although many would disagree, is that the majority of tourists are British; but to be honest we found there were more people of different nationalities there last year, than when we were there in (I think) 2008.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pefki Island Resort first week of June...

Thanks Steve and sorry for the large number of questions.

We booked up last night, a week in the Pefki Island Resort arriving on 1st June 2013 so are well chuffed. I only noticed yesterday that the hotel is ranked #1 on Tripadvisor so that was a bonus as well. We spent an hour or so looking at various websites last night to wet our appetite even more but the actual decision to book was fairly simple especially after your detailed response.

The British TV thing is a big one for me. We went to Majorca in 2011 for a week and it was wall to wall Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Eastenders and Ant and Dec programmes. We come on holiday to avoid those type of programmes (actually we don't watch them in the UK anyway) so I always ask the question of resorts as we like our bars/tavernas to be beer and music with some sport thrown in if necessary. I remember a bar in Kalamaki in Zakynthos which advertised itself as the best sports bar on the island yet showed soaps instead of sport most nights. I do appreciate owners have to cater for everybody and you can't turn the business away but if I hear that Corrie theme tune in June I will be moving on to the next bar.... :)

We will have to make the decision on air conditioning when we get over to Pefkos. I have laid in bed sweating before and had poor sleep (or was that the beer!) so it will be something to think about for sure.

Roll on 1st June I say...will look at your links.

Thanks again

Ju123

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pefki Island Resort first week of June...

No problem, have a great time!

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pefki Island Resort first week of June...

My husbandj and I are going back to Pefkos for the seventh time. This time we are going in June and coming back 4th July. A beautiful time weather wonderful. We are staying in Island Blue Hotel but have stayed quite a few times in Pefkis Island next to Linda Thylasia hotel. Wonderful you just walk down 61 steps and are on the beach. We used the air con in June it works out quite expensive if you do not take it into account with your budget. About £100 is not supplied with your hotel and safety deposit was extra as well.

We have not found it more expensive over the last few years. One taverna to look for in the Anixas which is at the far end of Pefkos not the bus stop side wonderful family run taverna and the food is marvelous. We have tried quite a few tavernas and they are all good but we rate Anixas food great and the prices for food and a caraf of wine very good. Cheaper than most but food as good if not better. The beach is clean but beds and umbrella work out about 8 euro a day. Have a wonderful time and especially use the local bus to go into Lindos and Rhodes town. very reliable and not too expensive they are air conditioned and run to time.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pefki Island Resort first week of June...

Thanks for the response Sherida, much appreciated.

€8 euro a day for beds and umbrella is still a lot better than the Algarve. I remember paying €15 back in 2009 when we were in Albuferia. It soon mounts up at that price and in the end we stuck by the pool but that is the great thing about a holiday, you can choose what you want to do.

It looks as though we have made the right decision to head to Pefkos. I have had some nice email conversations with the reservation department at Pefki Island which has fuelled the excitement.

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pefki Island Resort first week of June...

A pity we are not there the same time we could show you the ropes. We are there from 19th June this year for two weeks. Have a good time and enjoy th Mythos Larger and cocktails with sam at the pool bar

7. Re: Pefki Island Resort first week of June...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Pefkos
Recent Conversations