We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Symi

Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Symi

Hi does anyone know how much a trip to Symi is from the local travel shop in pefkos please ? X

Mentioned in this post
Symi
Symi
Dodecanese, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Symi

Hi there

When I was last in Pefkos in Sep 2011, I booked the Symi trip which was €35 but it was cancelled due to a ferry insurance issue. I'm sure all is OK by now.

Mentioned in this post
Symi
Symi
Dodecanese, Greece
Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Symi

Yes, no probs. now.

Its a long day. Boats leave Mandraki harbour in Rhodes Town @ 9.00 & return to harbour at about 18.30.Factor in the transfers from/ to Pefkos of about 1 hour each way as well

You get 3- 4 hours on Symi

Mentioned in this post
Mandraki Harbour
Mandraki Harbour
906 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Symi
Symi
Dodecanese, Greece
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Symi

Blimey it is a long day , quite fancy I tho x. Thanks for your replies x

Birmingham
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Symi

I have just been on the Symi trip from Pefkos. Symi is great but it is a very long and tedious day. They pick you up from Pefkos at 7am, the coach to Rhodes town is an hour, then the boat to Symi takes two hours (the boat seems to go at a snails pace) so that's three hours to get there.

You then have three hours in Symi. After this it's back on the boat for an hours ride to the monastery. They allow 45 minutes to look around the church and museums here. After this it's another two hour boat ride back to Rhodes and an hour coach to Pefkos.

All added up this means it's 7 hours of travel for 3 hours in Symi town and 45 minutes at the monastery. As nice as Symi town is it just isn't worth it. They should cut out the monastery on some of the trips and get a faster boat such as a hydrofoil or a catamaran.

Mentioned in this post
Symi
Symi
Dodecanese, Greece
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
chorley lancs
Level Contributor
126 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Symi

PhilpS I agree thats a very long day for 3 hours on Symi Faster boat would be better and cut out the monastery Jules

Mentioned in this post
Symi
Symi
Dodecanese, Greece
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Symi

There are high speed catamarans and faster large ferries running between Rhodes Town and Symi. The problem seems to be that the package you can buy in Pefkos which includes transport to and from Rhodes Town port doesn't use them.

Always worth asking if there is an option that includes Dodecanese Seaways boats. They tend to leave and arrive back at about the same time, but if you choose the right days (these are ferries so don't follow the same route every day) you can get 8 hours in Symi and go nowhere near the monastery. Even the sailings that do go that way are much faster and you still get more time in Symi town. Their slowest boat is just 90 minutes on a direct crossing, the fastest 50 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Symi
Symi
Dodecanese, Greece
Dodecanese
Dodecanese
South Aegean, Greece
chorley lancs
Level Contributor
126 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Symi

Thats good Info, Andy, worth knowing. Jules

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Symi

we thought about this trip last week, think departure from Pefkos was 07:30 and around 40euros but it was just too long a day. When we when to Rhodes town it seemed every boat at Mandraki offered Symi. Might be worth going up there on your first few days and sorting it out yourself and get a early bus up.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Symi
Symi
Dodecanese, Greece
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,754 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Symi

Isn't the boat trip a big part of the experience? A couple of hours sunbathing on deck and watching the world go by sounds good to me!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,754 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Symi

rob, would that be any cheaper? And you would still have to get up at stupid o clock, even earlier in fact to get a taxi to Lindos and then the bus, certainly at this time of the year anyway:

http://www.ando.gr/eot/eng/BUS.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Get answers to your questions about Pefkos