We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking is a real problem in Rhodes

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking is a real problem in Rhodes

We've just returned from an amazing 7 day holiday at Pefkos and a 2 day holiday in Rhodes Old Town. We had a fantastic time. However, our only complaint is that smoking is allowed just about everywhere including in restaurants and on the beach. This made it really unpleasant for us. We were surprised by how many Europeans and English we saw smoking. Coming from Australia where the smoking rates are relatively low and smoking is banned just about everywhere except inside your own home, the prevalent smoking spoiled what was otherwise a great holiday.

Bromsgrove
Level Contributor
101 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking is a real problem in Rhodes

During my recent two week visit I did notice some smoking where I'd have preferred there wasn't, usually whilst I'm eating. Fortunately the number of times I could count on one hand, being outside the affect was minimal and the total time I was slightly annoyed amounted to less than five minutes; not too bad over a 20,000 minute holiday. S'all good man.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking is a real problem in Rhodes

I didnt mind the smoking so much but it was definitely weird, when I checked into my hotel in Athens I had to wait for them to bring the reservation book out of the office and the guy on reception offered me a smoke, I was standing there like, "what, in here?" Hahah. I got used to it though, you can usually avoid it by sitting outside at reaturants.

3. Re: Smoking is a real problem in Rhodes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2013, 12:01
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
962 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking is a real problem in Rhodes

I understand what you are saying and I don't like smoking but have to accept you are in a different country with a different culture and attitude towards smoking. What really winds me up is the selfish people who can't enjoy a meal without lighting up. I respect your right to smoke but what I don't want is it forced on me when I am enjoying my food. I was sat in a lovely taverna with my family including a 3 year old and three English ladies on the table right next to us all lit up at once forcing my toddler and my family to inhale the smoke and spoil my food. How is that right? I couldn't move tables the taverna was full.

I respect your right to smoke please respect my right to enjoy my food and not have your smoke all over my table and my food. Thoughtless people.

Rant over

5. Re: Smoking is a real problem in Rhodes

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2013, 12:02
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking is a real problem in Rhodes

We smoke too but one of the only thing we like about the smoking rules in Holland that it's forbidden to smoke in a restaurant.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
962 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking is a real problem in Rhodes

If they are being totally disrespect and smoking over a 3 year old eating then don't think me asking them to stop would have made a difference Trev.

Only wrote this in the hope that someone who smokes might read it and think twice about smoking in a restaurant and allowing others to enjoy their meal.

Smoke it's your right but don't force it on others

8. Re: Smoking is a real problem in Rhodes

Removed on: 23 September 2013, 12:01
Edited: 23 September 2013, 12:01
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
962 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking is a real problem in Rhodes

Having said all that I did find most smokers respectfull and only encountered it twice in the two weeks we where in Rhodes. Could have understood more if they had been Greek it's their culture but we are not allowed to smoke in restaurants in the uk for a reason wish the thoughtless English ladies would have still respected that even though they where in Greece

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
962 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking is a real problem in Rhodes

Didn't spoil my holiday GB not sure anything could spoil a holiday to Rhodes. Understand what your saying but when it involves food I just thing it's wrong. Don't mind in the bars nothing is going to spoil a cold pint of Mythos

Get answers to your questions about Pefkos
Recent Conversations