We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stomach bug outbreak?

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stomach bug outbreak?

We are due to visit for the first time in 2 weeks, staying at Lindia Thalassa but, reading reviews on their sister hotel Island Blue, there appears to be a nasty virus recently. Does anyone have an update?

England
Level Contributor
530 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stomach bug outbreak?

Yes, i'd like to know too as we are heading to Island Blue next month. The reviews have said the hotel is doing everything they can, so that's something.

England
Level Contributor
530 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stomach bug outbreak?

Yes, i'd like to know too as we are heading to Island Blue next month. The reviews have said the hotel is doing everything they can, so that's something.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Stomach bug outbreak?

Can't believe people in their reviews of the hotel are blaming Thomson and the hotel. It must have been a guest who brought the bug in and it seems to have spread amongst the large wedding parties as well as others. People should stay out of the pools whilst ill, which is common sense. We are off in six weeks and if it is still there then I certainly will not be posting a review blaming the hotel or Thomson!

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stomach bug outbreak?

LynneyB

Why must it have been a guest who brought it in.?

Poor health practices are more often to blame.

If the virus is present it is up to the HOTEL to eradicate

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,447 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stomach bug outbreak?

There are viruses that are almost certainly brought into hotels by guests, often very nasty and easily spread so you're quite right Lynne. Unfortunately in today's compensation culture, people will try to lay the blame at the hotel or tour op, especially if they think there's a few quid in it!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stomach bug outbreak?

Here Here Marcus well said, Island blue is one of the cleanest hotels i have ever seen the outbreak will spread amongst people who are in contact with each other ie the wedding party 55 i believe which is obvious as they have spread it to the other hotels where othe wedding party guest where staying. So its not really a HOTEL virus it is a person who maybe drank to much alcohol in the day in the heat who then became dehydrated and sick and was the start of the problem just maybe....

England
Level Contributor
530 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stomach bug outbreak?

Generally if something is in the food, then almost everyone gets it. Seeing as it seemed to be confined almost solely to the wedding party, I think it may have been a guest bringing it in. Not blaming them of course, these things can't be helped.

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stomach bug outbreak?

lets face it no one is going to cancel their holiday let alone a wedding on the strength of a tummy bug. On the plane over the air is recirculated so a hazard in itself...If you are spending the majority of your time in and around the same dining room/pool germs will spread ( a plus for self catering/ room only therefore eat in a different place each night as opposed to AI/FB ie. close proximity 24/7)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stomach bug outbreak?

Quoted from the hotel manager...

Thank you for all your comments which are very much appreciated.

However just to make note of the situation (for all guests reading this) of the sickness situation:

• We currently have NO guests that are sick in any of the 3 hotels

• The sickness orginially was from a guest who was ill from arrival but was not reported to the reception until a few days into their holiday but had carried on using the facilties at the hotel and not taking proper precautions to prevent sickness spreading.

• The virus is NOTHING to do with hotel food or pools

• People who were in groups especially wedding parties who were constantly sharing space and rooms with each other passed the virus between each other as they of course we always together.

• Guests who reported they were unwell had the doctor offered immediately to which many refused even though the hotel were covering the costs of the doctor

• The doctors were sent to ALL rooms who had reported sickness, only for the doctor to find most people were NOT in their rooms or refusing treatment.

• The doctor and the hotel made it clear to all sick guests that they MUST remain in their rooms for at least 24hrs. In some cases after the doctor left they left the rooms!

• All rooms that were advised to stay in for 24 hours had room service offered for any food or drinks as an extra service from the hotel.

• During the time when guests were sick the hotel took extra precautions with cleanliness which is already of a high standard. All sick rooms were deep cleaned daily by the maids and the cleaning utensils WERE NOT used in other rooms.

• At the breakfast buffet at the restaurant the serving utensils were cleaned and replaced every 15 minutes

• All air conditioning units were also sanitized daily

• Pools had extra chemicals daily and were tested 3 times a day

• Food was tested daily

• Laundry was specially cleaned with anti bacterial products in high temperatures and separate to non sick rooms.

• Hand sanitizers have always been available at the restaurant by the breakfast buffet and toilets but we also put extra hand sanitizers in ALL public areas to encourage guests to use them before touching public areas.

• Whilst talking to a party by the pool who had sickness in their group I asked their room numbers to log it at reception. Another guest sat next to them then said to me “oh do you need my room number too as I was sick this morning”. My prompt reply was yes of course and WHY are you sat by the pool if you were being sick at 4am??

• Many people did not have all the same symptoms – some guests were ill due to over exposure of the sun and too much alcohol. Also going from the hot sun into very cold air conditioned rooms does not help.

• The hotel went above and beyond the help the situation and with nearly 900 guests staying between the 3 hotels there was a very small percentage of people sick. Every possible thing we could do to stop further sickness was done however not all people are responsible and do not think of other people and how something like this can spread very quickly in a short space of time.

• We were not the only hotels to be affected, other resorts on the island have had the same incidents which suggests that more needs to be done perhaps on the planes or coaches.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stomach bug outbreak?

Nice reply BTW Trevor... as usual

Get answers to your questions about Pefkos