We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies?

Which Hastings hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
316 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Mozzies?

We will be visiting Hastings in early January and were wondering what the mozzie situation will be like then. Should we bring plug ins for the room ( and is it better to buy them there) as well as the usual body sprays. We have used the burning coils in the past but they do smell weird. Any help would be appreciated.

merseyside
Level Contributor
877 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzies?

Take Mozziie spray containing deat make sure your room is sprayed every day . We were covered in Mozzie bites !

merseyside
Level Contributor
877 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzies?

Spray your ankles legs and arms before you go out Boot Chemist sell a good one .

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzies?

Buy a can of 'OFF' when you get there, you can get it in most supermarkets. It is very strong, has high deet content and works well.

Spray your rooms in the evening with 'BOP'. I also burn Citronella candles inside and out side patio/deck in the evening. Mozzies also hate air conditioning.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,544 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzies?

rossendalelass

The situation then won't be as bad as it is during the wet season as January is typically quite dry so mosquitoes are not as abundant then. I too agree that purchasing a tin of OFF would be ideal.

http://tinyurl.com/bq4vhb9

It's about £7.50 a tin but well worth it!

Regards

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozzies?

I was hoping that the mossies would be `full up ` by the time we land tomorrow night,. : > )

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mozzies?

The problem is that it is not just Mozzies but sand flies. Whilst mozzies dont normally bite during the day Sand flies bite all day. Take something like Jungle Formulae 50% deet with you. Whilst OFF is probably better you will need something when you arrive, not after you have shopped. A European plug-in will not work because the voltage is lower and the plate does not warm up enogh to be effective. You can buy one in Barbados at a reasonable price (cant remember how much I paid, around £5?) . You can still take the actual tablets you already use in your plug-in as they are the same. I agree with citronella candels. If you are badly affected with bites you might want to consider antihithsamine tablets. You can buy 2 weeks supply in Asda/Tesco for around a £1. Start taking them the day before you leave. They wont stop you getting bitten but will reduce the effect.

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mozzies?

I get bitten in the uk so am extra careful in Barbados. I spray the room with Bop when I go out and use boots own insect repellent ( grey bottle ) also Avon's skin so soft spray. I just spent two weeks there from 1st November and never got one bite

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
412 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mozzies?

If you have a Home Bargains they are selling off their plug-ins, insect repellent sprays, anti mosquito bands and bite relief so go there to stock up. It will save you a fortune!

We also use Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Body Spray onto our skin prior to suntan lotion and insect repellent, In Antigua in Septmeber we found the bands really good. Hubs, who normally gets some really nasty bites, hardly suffered any so we'll be taking those again esp at Home Bargains price of under £1 per pair!

W-D

9. Re: Mozzies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Hastings