We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to exchange money...or should we pay visa?

British Columbia
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to exchange money...or should we pay visa?

I'm heading to Sol Cayo Santa Maria this wednesday (jan 10-17th) and was just wondering if anybody had any tips on the best places to exchange money? I would prefer to use visa for most things, but I read that you need to show your passport in order to use your visa, and I'm not really comfortable bringing it around with me.

Help?

(also...anybody else going around that time??)

Sudbury ON
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to exchange money...or should we pay visa?

We are heading out the same time as you. Good question regarding the money exchange, I'll be looking for answers.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
300 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to exchange money...or should we pay visa?

You can exhcnange your money at the airport after you arrive. I saw many people using visa and yes they were showing their passports. Also I heard they do charge extra charge on visa for using it. Our hotel, Melia Las Dunas had a little kiosk to exchange money. I don't know if Sol Cayo Santa Maria does but the Melia is right next door and I'm sure you could exchange there also.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to exchange money...or should we pay visa?

Hey Crazy

Was at Melia next door in April/07. There is a bank exchange at the Melia a short walk through the gardens. You are allowed those privledges when your at Sol. I would use your CC for excursions, cigars, and cash for everything else. I'd try and stay away from using reception at Sol for exchanging unlss you really need to. They take a cut for the resort whereas the bank exchange does not. As for passport why not photocopy the pic page and leave a copy at home, take the rest witrh you. You can then take the photocopy with you and leave the original in your safe. Anything else just ask. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Sudbury ON
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to exchange money...or should we pay visa?

Thanks for the info, really helps. We were actually thinking of exchanging at the airport in Toronto before leaving but we aren't sure who is going to have the better rates.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to exchange money...or should we pay visa?

Hey Sun

You CANNOT buy CUC's in Canada or anywhere elase in the world other than in Cuba. The CUC is a closed currency. You can only purchase there, You can certainly exchange CDN to CUC at the airport in Santa Clara. Remember a couple tips. CDN bills should be newer, no rips tears or stamps on them. When you do exchange put 25CUC/person away for your departure tax. They will only accept this in CUC and will NOT make change. CASH ONLY. Hope this helps

Cheers

6. Re: Best place to exchange money...or should we pay visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Caibarien