We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one, Las Dunas, Melia Caya S.Maria or Sol Caya S.Maria

cheshire
4 posts
Save Topic
Which one, Las Dunas, Melia Caya S.Maria or Sol Caya S.Maria

Hi

I'm heading off to Cuba for my honeymoon in April 08 and can't decide between Las Dunas, Melia Caya Santa Maria or Sol Caya Santa Maria?

Can anyone tell me if they've been there and which would they reccomend also I've seen alot about mosquetos are they really as bad as I've heard as my future husband as had a reaction before.

Thanks

Shell

Ont
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one, Las Dunas, Melia Caya S.Maria or Sol Caya S.Maria

All 3 resorts share the same beach and it is nice. It depends on what size of resort you are looking for. The Melia Las Dunas is the newest on the Cay but it is very big.(955 rooms) I wouldn't want to be trying to get a lounger on the beach with all those people. The Melia Cayo Santa Maria is adults only ( which is really nice)and has a wonderful spa on site (that las dunas and Sol can use). This resort is not as big --around 300 rooms. The Sol is connected to the MCSM and is about the same size. The MCSM guests can use the facilities of the Sol but not so at Las Dunas. We stayed at the MCSM and loved it but it really is up to what you are looking for. We did visit all the others while we were there.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
299 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one, Las Dunas, Melia Caya S.Maria or Sol Caya S.Maria

Hi,

We stayed at the Melia Las Dunas over New Year's and I would highly recommend it. The beach is the same for all three. We walked past the other two, went into Cayo Santa Maria and I was glad of our choice. Didn't have a problem with finding a chair around the pools. and there were no mosquitos. I'm not sure what mosquitos are like in April.

cheshire
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one, Las Dunas, Melia Caya S.Maria or Sol Caya S.Maria

Thanks

We're got in down to Las Dunas or Melia, just not sure if the weather will be ok. What is the food like at the hotels and are the rooms clean, as I've seen a few people complaining about the food and dirty rooms and what rooms would you reccomend?

Mississauga
Level Contributor
40 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one, Las Dunas, Melia Caya S.Maria or Sol Caya S.Maria

I agree with other opinion that the Las Dunas is very big , the Melia has great food the rooms are all suites and nice bathrooms, you will enjoy the spa and if you stay at the Melis it will be minutes from your room.

Recommend a second floor room, if you want I can scan and e-mail you the Hotel map than you can see where you would want to stay. Bungalow 17, 18, 19 are nice on the beach.

The Sol is too old, do not go there.

cc

Denholme, United...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which one, Las Dunas, Melia Caya S.Maria or Sol Caya S.Maria

Shelley cant tell you which one to choose from but me and my family decided on las dunas from the ones you were undecided from. I didnt realise that the MCAM was adulys only though so maybe that might be a better option if its your honeymoon, but then again the las dunas is spilt into two family side and adluts side.

All the best.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which one, Las Dunas, Melia Caya S.Maria or Sol Caya S.Maria

I totally agree with Clinton Traveller. My personal choice is the MCSM as its adut only as well as smaller. We prefer smaller resorts, but thats us. Either one is good. Thety all share the same beach. Tours/Excursions are the same. Tough choice. Depends on what you want.

Cheers

wirral england
Level Contributor
169 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which one, Las Dunas, Melia Caya S.Maria or Sol Caya S.Maria

hi Shell, we stayed in the las dunas last April, and yes it is big, but its all beautifully landscaped and although you do a lot of walking it is good to get a bit of exercise before the next meal. as for dirty rooms i cant agree the whole complex was spotless and the room maid was as good if not better than anywhere we have stayed. we did look around the other hotels and its just my opinion, but i was glad we picked the las dunas. the perfect beach is shared by all three hotels and doesn't get that crowded. mossies were a real problem but only in the second week for some reason, and nothing would stop them.

you will have a fantastic honeymoon in Cuba wherever you stay

enjoy

Simon

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which one, Las Dunas, Melia Caya S.Maria or Sol Caya S.Maria

We stayed at the Sol two years ago at New Years. At that time, the Dunes was just being built but the Royal Hideaway was newly completed. The beach at our hotel (the Sol) was beautiful but the sand at the beach had more of a slope and was deeper sand so more difficult to walk along than the Melia. The Dunes had the best flattest area of beach and had the most shallow water for swimming. Is it still like that there? Just curious if the beach changed over time.

We walked over to the Melia and it was nicer and newer than the Sol. Both hotels (Sol and Melia) had plenty of pool/beach lounge chairs compared to other south destination hotels we had been to.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which one, Las Dunas, Melia Caya S.Maria or Sol Caya S.Maria

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking of heading down to either las dunas or MCSM...

Does anyone know if there is beach volleyball at either of these resorts...????

Thanks

Ont
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which one, Las Dunas, Melia Caya S.Maria or Sol Caya S.Maria

I know there is beach volleyball at MCSM

Get answers to your questions about Caibarien