We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help sand fleas

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
help sand fleas

I need to know what I can do for sand fleas when we went to cayo coco my legs were itchy all week ...my brother just reminded me yesterday about sand fleas in march I dont want to have the same problem again.It did not happen in cayo largo but we went in dec so maybe thats why...I have calamine lotion but can I find something to solve before they bite... cant wait for my trip but dont want to be itchy ..... of all are holidays in the caribean cayo coco is the only place I had trouble so im thinking since santa maria is so close it will happen again..thanks beachbumsmj

somerset
Level Contributor
393 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help sand fleas

Perhaps look for sun lotion with insect repellant in it

clinton,on
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help sand fleas

We have been to Cayo Santa Maria 2 times in the last yr--April/Nov and I had no problem with no seeums and when we were in CC I like you got bit hundreds of time. We have been to cuba a dozen times--all different spots and CC is the only spot I have had trouble both times. Heading to Cayo Largo in 3 weeks.

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help sand fleas

thanks that is good ...also have yourself a great holiday in cayo largo I just loved it their...beachbumsmj

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help sand fleas

Hey beachbumm, I got terrible sand fly bites whilst in Bahamas recently. I couldnt find anything which kept them off - used "Oft" which was a repelant. But to sooth and stop the itching, I took anti histamine tablets (for hay fever/allergies) whihc took the itching clean away. Another tip that someone told me whilst we were there was roll on deodorant - didnt try that one! Seemed a bit messy.

I am going to Cuba in May - so will be taking all kinds of remedy & repellant - as the bits kind of spoilt the holiday for a few days!!

Have fun

moncton nb
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: help sand fleas

Hi I also get bit by sand flies but last year my doctor prescribed ranitidine for acid reflex started 2 weeks before we left and took twice a day well away and never had a single problem with sand flies for the first time my I am doing the same thing this year

6. Re: help sand fleas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 10:20