We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wish i wasn't going to MLD now!

jlouisem
12 posts
Save Topic
wish i wasn't going to MLD now!

I'm fed up with all the negative reviews for MLD. I booked this hotel thinking it was 4 plus and feel a little cheated, i have been to cuba before, twice in 2002( rio de oro, guardalavaca. daquiri, cayo guilermo.) and understand and know that the food isn't great. Since going to cuba in the past 6 years i have been to Antigua, Barabados, Bahamas Jamaica, mexico and am now used to the standard of food at other caribbean island hotels, i'd completely forgotten about the food issue in cuba now i wish id booked somewhere else like the oro again...after going to the daquiri on cayo guilermo i have memories of not looking forward to meal times which is not the way it should really be on holiday. Could someone please compare the level of food at the daquiri to MLD - is it just as 'canteen' feeling?

Denholme, United...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wish i wasn't going to MLD now!

I cant comment on the daquiri but please dont be put of by the food issues. Yes its not the best but it is okay and edible. They cook fresh meat for you which is nice and they do lobster free of charge.

Go enjoy , you will have a great time. The food isnt that bad, and it wouldnt stop me going back one day

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wish i wasn't going to MLD now!

Funny how everyone says 'don't go to Cuba for the food'. Well, that's not my opinion. I've been to Cuba a few times as well as other destinations, and there isn't much of a difference. Yes, there are items sometimes missing, especially salad, but the taste is not bland at all. I've had delicious meals at MLD.

Last summer the food at MDL wasn't always very hot at the buffet BUT if we had taken the time to get something from the stations, it would have be perfect. We just didn't want to bother. Also, most of the time, we weren't there when the buffets open, but a little later. Most buffets are the same. It's not the fault of the country, but more the way the resort handles it's food situation. I did state the food at the buffet was average in my review, but that's the situation during slow season. Our hardest meal was lunch. It was so hot in the air con restaurant at 32 degrees, that nothing seemed appitizing. The a la cartes were excellent.

We were there during slow season, so I guess it was natural that they had less choice, and it was normal that the dishes didn't get emptied as fast because we were so few guests.

It's a great hotel. Not a 5 star, but a solid 4 star. We have received the best service at this resort out of all our trips. The beach is superb, the pools are beautiful, the rooms are nice and big. We've even booked to go back this summer.

Don't worry, you'll enjoy it. You are on vacation, and not at home. Things may be different, and sometimes that's the best way to taste some weird looking dishes. I've often found those were the best and often local dishes.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
328 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wish i wasn't going to MLD now!

have been to both, food fine at both, dont worry

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: wish i wasn't going to MLD now!

Well I tell you what. I really do hate to see someone worry, fret and have a terrible vacation.

So to alleviate that issue and make you happy again, just kindly express-post your tickets to me here in Canada and I promise you I'll have a great time at the MLD.

For me, travel is all about attitude and enjoyment. It's MY vacation and I've always been able to overlook the possible issues with various locales and have a great time no matter where I am.

After I receive your tickets and enjoy my stay in Cuba, I'll write a full report and tell you what you missed. Meanwhile, you relax at home and have a cuppa with your feet up.

Toronto
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: wish i wasn't going to MLD now!

I don't think Steve is giving you a fair deal there. I am sure I will enjoy that vacation so much that I am willing to offer you $10 for it.

And, I promise not to write too good of a review when I return so you will regret not having gone.

I just returned from a hotel in Cienfuegos which is rated a 3 star or below. The food wasn`t great, but I spent less than an hour in the restaurant per day, I was too busy enjoying myself elsewhere to worry about that. The food was edible and healthy, the weather was perfect, the water was warm, I met lots of great people on and off the resort, and there was plenty of Cristal and Ron to go around.

Actually, I`ve changed my mind. I`ll offer $20!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: wish i wasn't going to MLD now!

Ok, you made me feel guilty. I'll now offer $21.99 and I'll even express-post you back a bottle of rum!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wish i wasn't going to MLD now!

LOL! Do I hear $25? Going once, going twice ....

jlouisem .. You have memories of not looking forward to meal times? Now, that's just strange. I dunno .. maybe cause it's not a priority to me, I can't wrap my head around that statement. Getting ill on bad food is one thing but being a food snob reminds me of how really spoiled we are here.

If you have certain standards, then by all means go where you can live out your food dream. We wouldn't want you to come back all depressed having missed out on anything.

Afterall, there is nothing to see or do in Cuba and it's freezing cold with way too much crime.

Yah ... I think you made a big mistake with the MLD .. so don't be shy .. let me know when you're giving up your tickets!

Toronto
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: wish i wasn't going to MLD now!

$32, a bottle of aged rum, several cigars of your choice, and a photo of me ''not'' enjoying myself at the resort!

Actually, as there are two tickets, I will increase my offer to $47.00 And double the above gift items for you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: wish i wasn't going to MLD now!

Damn.... look at what corrupt decadent capitalism is doing to my original heartfelt offer!!!

ROTFLMAO... on a Saturday morning!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wish i wasn't going to MLD now!

Now everyone knows Steve loves food so................if he's bidding on this trip then the food must be not bad....either that or he's going for the rum.

jlouisem,

you'll love it there. beautiful beach. nice and relaxing.

go to the buffets earlier and then it will be guaranteed hot.

I wish I was going. I'd just like a break from cooking here. I'll tell you what.....take me and I will scout out all the good food for you. I have an eye for good food and won't get as distracted by the rum like Steve.

Get answers to your questions about Caibarien