We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pitfalls of vacation rentals?

Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pitfalls of vacation rentals?

What are the alerts we should be aware of?

How do you know they are legitimate?

Will we get what we paid for - just like the picture on the website?

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pitfalls of vacation rentals?

Not sure what you mean here..... perhaps you could be more specific

Alerts .... ??? One thing I always do is after I have chosen my shortlist is to google the property name ( XXXXXXX barbados) and try to see if it is listed with more than one agency ....if it is I then compare the descriptions and facilities to see if there is any major discrepancy

I ALWAYS Email /'phone the agency /owner with any questions or points that I need clarifying

Pictures usually ( as one would expect) portray a property in it's best light ...so far we have not found any pictures for villa that we have rented ..to be misleading. Often you will find the same set of pictures with more than one agency

Legitimate....... If you deal with one of the reputable established rental agencies then you should b OK ...if you deal with a private person ...then who knows

Use TA ..... Once you have chosen your property ...you can ask on here if anyone has actually stayed there

Edited: 13 March 2010, 08:27
Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pitfalls of vacation rentals?

Thanks for your reply....you have answered all my questions.

warwickshire uk
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pitfalls of vacation rentals?

HI i too have also stayed in barbados on with a private letting www.barbadossun.co.uk and we have never had a problem this is a privately owned 2 bed apartment on a well known resort as the last person said they have 2 much invested , just have a few 4xxxxs/ banks beer s and enjoy .

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pitfalls of vacation rentals?

We have used holiday-rentals.co.uk Never had a problem - I always looks for ones with reviews. I don't think they would be allowed to continue on the website if they weren't genuine. Just ask all the right questions of the owners.

5. Re: Pitfalls of vacation rentals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap