We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In the Gap next week!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
In the Gap next week!

Hi!

I am arriving in the gap next friday (Nov 4th) and staying fro 5 nights. We are a young couple staying at oceans 2. What are some good local bars and restaurants that we can walk to? Or even take a bus to? I want to make sure I take in some of the culture while enjoying the sights. Any local foods we should try?Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you!

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In the Gap next week!

Firstly you will love the Gap, it's my favourite place to stay.

You are staying right on the edge of a lovely quiet beach and there is a fantastic beach bar only 30 or so yards away called Salt Ash, a perfect setting. There is also the Gap bar that has karaoke and singers on regularly, this is on the road when you turn left to head up the Gap. A nice little place on Dover beach called Johnny Cools bar were drinks and food is available. A chattel village is just further up on the right with a nice eatery called Happy days and they serve a good breakfast. Next to here is a great bar called De Hideaway Bar run by a super guy called Mark.

Next to these there are a couple of good eateries too.

From there on up the Gap you will meet more places where you can drink, eat and also some good nightlife.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 15:55
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In the Gap next week!

Depending on what time you arrive Friday, I'd recommend you head to Oistins "fish fry", it's not really walkable, but you can take the bus (just ask anyone how to get to the bus stop, it's not far from you). The food there is great, from marlin, mahi mahi and chicken to local staples like macaroni pie and rice and peas, not to mention the legendary rum punch!

As Brettski mentioned, SaltAsh and Johnny Cool's are both worth visiting - sunset is a good time for a drink in either of those - oh and Johnny's burgers are pretty good too!

Further up the Gap, there's the Reggae Lounge and McBride's that have music and dancing until late, also live music on certain nights. There's also a new sports bar that we are all waiting to hear more about!

None of these places will take above ten minutes or so to walk to (apart from Oistins), some of them considerably less!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: In the Gap next week!

Thank you both so much! We are arriving early on Friday so will plan a trip to oistens! Are there any beaches we should make sure we see or should we just stay near the hotel?

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In the Gap next week!

There is a great beach where you are (White Sands Beach), Dover beach is just a two minute walk away to your left. Maxwell beach is to your right. There is Miami beach in Oistins, Crane Beach is another. Worthing beach, Carlisle bay, Accra beach, All on the South coast. Bathsheba, Bottom bay,Trent bay, Skeets bay on the East. Mullins bay, Gibbs on the West.

To be honest there are too many to mention.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 18:28
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In the Gap next week!

Dover beach, which you will walk past on your way to The Gap.

Miami/Enterprise which is just south of Oistins.

Those are two fairly close to where you are staying but there are many brilliant beaches to visit eg Carlisle Bay just south of Bridgetown, Rockley/Accra beach and combine with a walk on the south coast boardwalk ....

The list goes on and on and I'm sure others will join in with their favourites.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,536 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In the Gap next week!

sdnj

Be sure to try some fish cakes and sweet bread while here in Barbados! If you're in the Speightstown area, visit the beach at Port St. Charles... it's arguably the best beach in the north of the island.

Regards

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: In the Gap next week!

Great; thanks! Anything else I should makes sure I see when I am there? I assume bus is the easiest way to get around? Also can we stop at the larger grocery store on the way from the airport to the hotel? I am guessing that taking a cab is the easiest. I dont want to waste any time running around while we are there - need to hit the beach! :) Thanks!

Sara

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In the Gap next week!

There is Dover mini-mart facing your condo, you can get essential supplies from there. If you require a large buy in then get a cab to Big B super store in Worthing, it will only take around 5-10 minutes to get there in a cab.You can walk it there in about 20-25 minutes if you want.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: In the Gap next week!

Perfect - thank you! Do you know how much a cab ride there will cost? Is there a bus? thanks!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,536 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In the Gap next week!

sdnj

Personally I wouldn't take a cab there as it's too short of a distance. You can take the bus which costs $2 BBD one way. Any bus travelling "TO CITY" will take you there. Alight at the bus stop opposite Shell and Cave Shepherd, cross the road and follow the road past Shell, CIBC First Caribbean and the supermarket is right there. This is about 5 mins walk from where you alight the bus. The supermarket provides a free shuttle which you can take back to the hotel with your groceries or you could then take the taxi or bus back.

www.supercentre.com is the link to the supermarket.

Regards

Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap