We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on island

Boston
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay on island

Still trying to decide where to go on my summer vacation, where in Barbados would be a good location to stay, looking for a great hotel, with a good beach, calm water and relatively close to restaurants. Will be traveling with husband and 18 month year old daughter. Have looked at Hilton Barbados, but confused at to where to stay on island.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on island

Have a look at hotels in the Parish of St James.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on island

With an 18 month old, I highly recommend you rent a two (2) bedroom condo. We took our daughter to Barbados this past May at 20 months old and stayed at Sapphire Beach on Dover Beach in the Gap. Go to homeaway.com. I can recommend a specific unit if you like.

With the two (2) bedroom units, the pool is literally 10 feet outside the sliding doors from the downstairs bedroom. So if you have a video baby monitor, you and your husband can hang out in the pool/patio or the 2nd floor balcony overlooking the pool/caribbean while your daughter naps just feet away. If you stay at the Hilton, your going to be trapped in the room/balcony until she wakes.

You will also see from research that Sapphire is walking distance from places to eat eliminating the necessity for a car.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on island

jsa,

While the recommendations about the condo are good and of Course Dover beach is a brilliant beach the sea isn't usually that calm, that is why i mentioned to look up the West coast otherwise i would say the Gap area all day long.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on island

Agreed...however the Sapphire Beach end I have seen as calm as Paynes Bay. It all depends on the time of year/storm activity in the caribbean.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,690 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on island

SRJR

Hilton Barbados is indeed a great choice with two beaches, 3 restaurants on site with 3 others in 10 mins walking distance from the hotel. Several others are just a 5-10 minute bus ride away. If you're a Hilton Honors member staying here would make perfect sense.

On the South Coast, have a look at either:

Accra Beach Hotel & Spa

Southern Palms

Bougainvillea Beach Resort

Ocean Two Resort & Residences

Turtle Beach Resort (AI)

Almond Casurina (AI)

Coral Mist Beach Hotel

On the West Coast, have a look at either:

The Tamarind

The Sandpiper

Sandy Lane Hotel

Colony Club

Mango Bay Resort (AI)

Hope this helps

Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay on island

i agree that dover beach is very calm at that end. i stay next door each trip and it is almost always very calm with a wide sandy beach.

Barbados
Level Contributor
148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay on island

I would say the west coast. Holetown - look at Glitter Bay which has 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments right on one of the best beaches on the west with full kitchen which is much easier when you have a small child. Usually calm waters, close to Holetown with supermarket, great restaurants and medical centre.

Try www.barbadosvillaservices.com which manages 15 apartments at Glitter Bay.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,576 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay on island

I wholeheartedly second Glitter Bay !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay on island

Without a budget considerations you risk getting very broad responses. But I can suggest two moderately-priced places on the south coast with great (but active) beaches and proximity to restaurants: Southern Palms and

Bougainvillea Beach Resort. Great rooms, wonderful locations and accessible to restaurants and transportation.

I understand the Hilton's appeal to Americans: it's a recognized brand and you know that the standard of room to expect from the Hilton brand. But the Hilton is a huge concrete slab, cookie-cutter hotel ensconced up a hill that, IMHO, separates its visitors from the a real Barbadian experience.

If calm water is a must try taking a look at Little Arches. The boutique hotel has some lowered prices during the summer season and is a few yards away from really great calm Miami Beach. Enjoy your stay!

BB

10. Re: Where to stay on island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2013, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap